A minner for dinner

Buffalobob

All he wants in life is a minner for dinner or perhaps a small peeper would do.

watersnakec.jpg

We were out today wading this stream inventorying the trash and all the water snakes were out. Here are a couple of pictures of what trash in a stream looks like. This is the side of nature photography that few people enjoy.

There are about 75 plastic bags caught on this one limb.

Wattsbagsc.jpg

Here is a mixture of styrofoam containers, potato chip bags, plastic beverage bottles and plastic bags.

Wattsbags1c.jpg

Curious, how close to civilization is that? It doesn't seem to me we would see that amount of trash in my neighborhood but maybe I just don't notice it.

Here is a map of DC gun violence over the last month or so. We were discussing it at dinner tonight (Gen Tso's Chicken Not minners) and talking about where we were and the people we encountered during the day. I have marked the areas we walk and count trash. The pictures of trash were taken for my upcoming testimony on new legislation.

Trash in streams is a socio economic issue. My daughter and I work in the very poorest and most violent parts of DC. I believe in my work and I believe in making even a small urban stream like this healthy for black nosed dace and water snakes.

I have the best scientific data on the east coast as far as trash in streams go. Maybe I will post a link to a live broad cast when I testify on the issue.

I am beginning to experiment around on picture editing but I think I need a better camera. Of course, a camera that can go hunting and that you can risk a dunking in the stream is not an expensive camera. That is probably a stupid attitude being as I think nothing of taking $1K binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes hunting and then use a $50.00 camera.

Snake.gif

Last edited:
Not a very friendly place, apparently.

Maybe I will post a link to a live broad cast when I testify on the issue.
Please post the link and I will listen.

But the bigger question is...will you be on the Leno Show?

Len

When you were planning a new development of homes you had to go and see a guy like me about your wetland permit and stormwater permits. How did you get along with that guy.

Almost always got along well with any of the inspectors. My company was known for being professional and not whining about inspectors...even if only rarely it would have been justified.

It was always good to deal with the companies who acted professional and understood I had no axe to grind with them. All I cared about were the tadpoles and minnows. If they took care of my tadpoles and minnows, I was happy.

Pardon for hijacking the thread (for a short bit). Speaking about tadpoles.........

In my pond there are 10's of thousands of black tadpoles that are lining the shore. They are at the most 3/8" long. They are in water no deeper than 2", maybe to escape the fish?

The North side of the pond is approx. 280' long, and Tuesday they blanketed the shore for about 6" out into the water. Literally, there was a black stripe on the whole North side of the pond.

Any ideas on species? The pond is at the edge of a "wooded wetland" that dries up between early and late June. 30 miles S/SW of South Bend, Indiana. There is a good 10" - 16" of water standing in the woods now - maybe 5 acres are covered.

If you need more information, ask away!

Most likely they are in the shallow water to eat algae that grows there. Depending on many things, algae will grow better where there is plenty, but not too much sunlight in the water. Algae will grow on the dead leaves and the tadpoles will graze them off. Some tadpoles eat other things. The big bullfrog tadpoles will eat each other.

I would suspect that they will be toads but it is hard to tell. Asking two engineers a biology question is asking for a bad answer.:D

Here is an Identification chart that I checked to be sure I at least had a few functioning brain cells left. Black ones are toads.

Tadpole Identification Table

I grew up catching and playing with toads and frogs and have a fondness for them (also crawfish and salamanders and ring necked snakes). When you grow up poor on a farm you don't have so many toys and the small creatures are your entertainment. Frogs and toads have been having a hard time the last decade of so probably because of acid rain and pH changes but the last I knew it was still an unsolved mystery.

You should be happy to have so many as they will eat lots and lots of bugs. The little ones will be a major food source for a lot of birds and shrews etc.

If you have children of an age to need a science fair project for next year there are some great ones, such as what percentage get rear legs on the same day, and front legs and leave the pond etc. Also is the question of how many are deformed and what kind of deformity- this should win if done well and advance your child to the regionals. Make sure to check the rules as working with live animals requires prior approval and not every school will allow project work done before the project is registered.

BB:

Thanks! No kids, but my niece might be interested. That's a great idea!

I put 50 bullfrog tadpoles in the pond a few years ago and last year there were only a few adults left. I'll re-stock them again after I'm done digging it deeper and re-contouring the banks. The previous owner thought it best to have a 1:1 or at best a 1:3 slope............. I figure that I'll need to move around 16K cu. yd. to get it the way I want it.

The tadpoles seem to be shrinking in number, but after looking at some of the puddles that are in the woods, there is still a significant number around!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts