A broken wing.

Discussion in 'Nature Photography' started by Buffalobob, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I was out finding a site to use to monitor how much and what kind of trash runs off highways during a storm and had stopped at a stormwater wet pond. I had my camera to take pictures of the outfalls to include into the proposal I am submitting. On my way back to my truck, I saw a small bird fluttering and hopping along the ground with a broken wing. I took a picture and then remembered that there is a place over at the Patuxent Wildlife refuge that cares for hurt birds.

Well the bird keep fluttering and hopping along and I was afraid it would get back into the roadway and get hit again. So I just left it alone.

I spent some time with a photo editor adjusting colors and contrast, etc to try to help the pictures a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gbraach

gbraach Member

I doubt there was any thing wrong with the bird. A nesting bird will often act that way to draw predators away from their nest. This behavior is common in killdeers.

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

GBraach

Do you know the difference between a junior member with 8 posts and a senior member with three dump trucks of posts?

I can act stupid and nobody will be surprised. You still have a chance of fooling us.:D

This is just my little joke for the day.

[​IMG]

4. CAM

CAM Well-Known Member

BB
    You GOT to work on your timing!!!!
    Three days late for April fools!!

CAM

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

That was a good'n.

6. James H

James H Well-Known Member

Bob,
    After I read your prairie dog posts I just figured you didn't know anything about killdeer either.

James

7. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

A little late seeing this post, spit coffee all over my screen when I saw the pics.
    That was a good one BB:D

8. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

What really amazes me is that these little birds with broken wings can still kill full grown deer. Simply amazing....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  9. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

Wish one of those things would grab my wife's PIA dog..............:D

10. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

i always wondered where they got that name! that one appears to be a little bigger than the ones around here.