A-Max in 22-250 - hunting Roedeer

Lovely dog - I think you have a great bullet, rifle, accuracy and dog combo!

I have a black lab that accompanies me every outing. She is really obedient and easy but does not have a nose like a dachs.

Stalking with a dog is so much more fun.

This is the first season my dog is going to accompany me with stalking. I´ve only used her hunting, never stalking quitely unless it is on a wounded animal.
The season starts 10. aug. I´ll be starting the 16. aug, since I´ve been hunting a lot in the neighbour country, Sweden.

1894: New testresults of .224 bullets

The BX 50grs looses it´s wings but totally penetrates the media 60 cm newspaper, right trough a board of wood on the backside. Amazing penetration. The expansions seems rapid since it looses it´s "wings".

Also tried the Trophy Bonded i 55 grs. It totally comes apart and really mushes the media. Penetration better than the A-Max but it gives a hell of a lot more destruction in the media. Seems like a poore bullet compared with the price. Not a bullet I would like to use in 22-250. It just cant take the velocity.

Sounds like you are on to a winner with the Barnes. I have heard that their accuracy can change between different lot #'s so it might not hurt to get a couple of boxes.

Is it accurate (ie stable) at longer ranges?

Tried the BX at 300 meter. Very accurate approx 1,5 moa @300 m. BUT I´ve also experienced a 3 shot round that didn´t even hold 1 moa @100meter. Same box...

I wonder if that might be copper fouling - was it a group later in the string?

Yes, the group was after i had fired maybe 20 rounds with different bullets. Maybe some copper... did´nt seem much when I cleaned the barrel that evening.

I seem to remember that Barnes don't like to be shot over conventional jacket copper fouling.....

This is all 3rd hand but I have taken an interest as I am about to start loading Barnes myself,these will weigh an extra 200gr and be out of a 9.3x62!

Time for me to comment again. I've seen varmint ( v-max and the like) blow up on the shoulder of a Roe Deer. I've had good sucess with the sierra game king in the 22.250, seems to me to be about the right bullet, Balistic tips in 5.56? aren't they designed as a varmint bullet in this caliber? with these small fast calibers the right bullet choice is critical, so frangible and you risk horribly wounding the animal to tough and it will zip through like a lazer.
I shot a buck last night with my 30-06. Hornady 165gr SST. it didn't move and inch, just fell over.
Pete

oh... just tested A-max on roedeer. 52 grs. 22-250. Range 120 meter. It walked about 20-30 meter before it fell. Totally exploded inside. The remainings of the bullet was stuck on the skins other side.
It did hit bone, exploded just inside the skin, 19,4 grs remainings traveled trough the lounges.

Pretty messy... better stick with BX on these ranges.

SakoVarmint:
I believe you are in some confusion about terms...

1MOA is an angle which means the 1MOA value grows larger proportional with distance. E.g. 1MOA = 3cm/100m, 6cm/200m, 9cm/300m etc. (3cm not scientifically correct number, but accurate enough that the difference is insignificant for shooting ranges. The deviation adds up to something like 2cm@1000m. Just like pi isn't really 3,14.)

I belive after skimming through your text that your gun is shooting less than 1/3 MOA at 300m (26mm group,) NOT 1,5 MOA which would be 13,5cm at 300m. Good news, yes?
wink.gif

Dahles Auto advertisement on the newspaper test media? You must be from Sarpsborg/Fredrikstad then. Small world...

[ 10-06-2004: Message edited by: sierra22 ]

[ 10-06-2004: Message edited by: sierra22 ]

I use 52 grain A max in my .22-250 for Roe,on the last outing over xmas on some ground i have in Scotland i accounted for 5 doe,s in 2 days stalking.They were shot between 50-360 yrds shot placement was heart and upper lung all fell within 10 yards of the hit.All 5 had exit wounds of about 18-20mm,2 of the shots had hit bone on the way in and still exited the other side.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts