A-Max in 22-250 - hunting Roedeer

Sakovarmint,

The 22-250 may give an extra level of lethality but from my 5.6x50R, 55gr sierra gamekings or 60gr hornadies at 3,300fps and 3,250fps were brilliant.

With 50gr hornadies it was for some reason appalling, with 3 chest shot roe going up to 300m or remaining alive for long periods of time. These were all recovered (dog) and showed too little expansion despite great placement on two and OK placement on one.

From this I would say that a centre fire 22 absolutely has to have faultless bullet performance and that to use a bullet without a proven track record in roe hunting is extremely unwise - it does not appear to have the lee way that a 243 and up does. I know a number of people who use both these bullets (a Swedish magazine concluded that the 55gr sierra gameking was the best for roe). It is an extremely accurate bullet and stabilised in my 14 twist 222rem. The 60gr hornady stabilised in my 13 twist 5.6x50r so may well be ok in the faster 22-250 with 14 twist. They are both very accurate bullets returning 0.5moa or better.

I would be very surprised if you could not work up a load with at least 0.75moa with either of these 2 proven bullets.

I wouldn't use a 52gr amax out of a 222rem on roe let alone on a 22-250, there is just too little margin IMHO.

[ 06-24-2004: Message edited by: 1894 ]

Might think about the new 65 Gameking-- BC's supposed to be around .285-.290. Should be pretty good for that application.

SakoVarmint
If Roe weigh only 12 - 20 kg then rapid expansion will be required . A- Max might just drill a little hole and go bouncing across the countryside if they're more strongly constructed . Think I'd stick with the 50gn - 55gn V Max or Nosler Ballistic tip out to 300yds. I used them with great success in my .22/250 . Nothing that I've seen that weighs 20kg is going far if well hit with one of those .
Chest shot a smallish kangaroo (20 - 25kg) at about 100yds recently with my .243 Ackley using the 95gn Berger VLD at 3270fps and found the bullet was under the opposite skin and mushroomed to about 3 times it's calibre . Indicates to me that the Bergers are pretty soft and might be an option for you . 55gn and 70gn Nosler ballistic tips out of the .243 usually go straight thru in the same situation .

Hell, when I first saw a roe here in Scotland, I thought it was a jackalope...22-250 would make short change, not much bullet section expertise needed, if you can shoot..

JR

The 65gr gameking will not stabilise in a 14 twist.

Roe generaly do not take much killing but my experience (rather than conjecture) is that when you get to 22cf bullet performance is critical.

I find it amazing that people who either haven't even seen a roe or who don't appear to have used a 22cf in hunting them can ignore field gained advice....

I guess that's me you're having a go at ?
Whilst I admit I've never hunted Roe Deer , I have shot literally hundreds of animals larger than Roe Deer with a .22/250 and a .220 Swift . I've also seen hundreds more shot by friends using .22/250's . I'd venture so far as to say that a few hundred kills is sufficient to allow me an opinion on what you can or can't do with a hot .22 .
Only poor results I ever had with a .22/250 on 20kg game were with 60gn Hornady match hollow points that seemed too hard and went through with little expansion . I believe the Hornady 60 gn Spire Point has a good reputation on game however .
I've tried Sierra Game Kings and they're O.K. but weren't red hot accuracy wise in my rifle . Good enough for Roe Deer to 300 metres or so though .
Nosler Ballistic Tips are capable of 5 shot groups in the ones out of some rifles .They have good B.C's and kill like lightning in my experience .My only criticism would be that hits are often quiet by comparison with hollow points . This wouldn't be an issue if shooting in good light .
Hornady V Max's work well for me too .

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

The only shooting I have ever done with the 52gr A-max was in Africa. I shot a couple dozen mongooses with them out of a friends 22-250 AI. The muzzle velocity was 4035 out of that rifle. We saw no difference in explosive capabilities between that and my .220 swift with 55gr BTs at 3840 fps. My friend hunts jackal for a living and has used this bullet almost exclusively for the past 2 years. He has racked up around 800 kills with it so if there was ever any question about the "killing" capabilities of that bullet "on jackal anyway" he would not be using it. The average shot on a jackal is about 150 yards but many fall at 300 and beyond. A couple of months ago he had some friends from Belgium over and they culled 50 spring buck with his AIs in a weeks time. Adult Springbuck are almost twice as big as your Roe and they didn't experience any losses. There are better choices for Roe and Springbuck but for a 50 or 60lb animal at 150 yards I can't see any problems with it. .
I would only suggest that you try for a broad side shot and avoid the shoulder bone or any quartering away shots. If you have 60gr partitions available there I wouldn't even bother with the A-max bullets.

Good hunting.

Q,

I have shot Roe deer in Germany with a 16 guage double barrel french shotgun and have the mounted head sitting 8 feet from my computer screen as i type.My statement is fact plain and simple from experience on many animals not hot just typewriter skill.An elephant can be killed with a pocket knife though i wouldn't reccomend you try it.
Lynn

Right, after reading the thread again i feel further comment is needed, the bloke i know using amax on deer is using then in a 6.5x284. i wouldn't recomend a match/target bullet froma 22.250 for use on anything but varmints up to the size of a fox. same gos for the dedicated varmint bullets like the blitz king and the Vmax, they will blow upon the shoulder of a Roe deer causing a horndouse but not lethal injury..now i can attest to the effectivenes of the sierra gameking in the 22.250, having shot a lot of roe with this combination, the deer drop like they where hit by lightening providing shot placement is correct, and there we have the key to everything, shot placement. use th right bullet for the right application and you won't go wrong, Pete

I´ve been trying the accuracy of the A-max 52 grs in my rifle now. The accuracy is beyond me dreams. At 100 meters a 3 shot group just makes a single nice round hole. At 300 meters a 3-shot group goes 26,6 mm. Shot off bi-pod with ammobox as backrest.

Dear God. Please let me find a game-bullet that matches that accuracy.

I´ve still haven´t testet the bullet for expansion and penetration.

right folks,

shoot roe deer with the a-max no problems. as for v-max, they are good too. they don't blow up in my experience.

good placement and the animal will fall down!!

my shooting companion shot a nice six point roe buck last summer.He used his 22-250 loaded with the 52 grain v-max,distance was a lazered 236 yards.The deers only reaction to the shot was to walk into nearby cover.After follow up we found the animal some thirty yards away.The bullet had struck aft of the left shoulder and taken the lungs out,no exit wound.While it did the job i will stick to my 25-06 100 grain BTSP.

Lynn Wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> SakoVarmint
The Hornady A-Max is a target bullet not a varmint bullet.A is for accuracy V is for varmint kinda thing.You are correct in that you noted high velocity is the key to bullets exploding on impact rather than other common myths about bullet RPM.The A-Max doesn't have the thin skin(jacket) of the V-Max and therefore it doesn't expand as fast.If you go to the Hornady website at www.hornady.com you will see it is only made in long range target weights except for the 22 caliber 52 gr bullet which is the most common size of 22 caliber target bullets.You asked the question so i gave you the answer if you don't want to hear the truth choose whatever bullet you want and good luck.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I´ve been testing the A-Max for penetration and expansion now. I I would say it expands quite easy. It´s more like an V-Max. In your first reply you states that it would probably act like an solid.... did´nt think so and absolutely dont think so now. Image for your view:
Restvekter.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.