A-max for hunting?

luke

Has anyone used A-max bullets for hunting? I am kinda new to long range hunting and cant seem to find any info on this. Hornady claims they are ok for thin skinned big game. Just wondering what others have heard or experienced with these. anything would help. thanks

I haven't used them myself, but I've talked to many who have and the consensus is that at lower velocities they perform well - so you'd want to use them in situations where bullet velocity at impact isn't too fast (like under maybe 2,500 fps). The only times I've heard they didn't perform too well was in closeup shots when the bullet is going so fast that it comes apart before enough penetration.

I killed an elk this year at 791yds. with a 208 Amax travelling 2850fps from 300WM. I hit him in the lungs, although it didn't drop him, he never took a step, after a few seconds he just laid down an expired. Bullet did not exit but caused massive damage to the lungs. I inquired alot about the Amax for hunting before trying them, all had good things to say about them, and I will continue useing them. Just remember shot placement is the most important issue with any bullet, if your not sure you can place the shot your probable beyond your max range, and shouldn't take the shot.

thanks for the info. I have shot alot from 400 to 900 yards and am confident with my shooting. I tried to get a load worked for the 168gr berger hunting vld in my 7mmRM but after 2 boxes my best group at 200 yards is around 3 inches. But the A-maxes consistantly shoot half to three quaurters of an inch at 200. What would be an effective elk range? The bullets are 162gr a-max leaving the barrel at a chronoed 3156 fps. Should i just use this set up for long range deer and use my ulta mag for elk? My 300 rum shoots 210gr bergers at a chronoed 3114 and shoots a half inch @ 200. But this rifle kicks as i dont have a break on it yet.

the 162 A-Max (7mm) does well on antelope from 200 to just beyond 1000 yards with complete pass throughs.
I have used the 140 A-max on full sized KS whitetail buck - Only 250 yards.
bullet worked great. MV was 2775 on the 6.5 140 grain.

Luke, I would'nt have a problem with either gun out to 1000yds. Your 300 would be my choice for anything here in N America expecially elk, moose, or other large Game. You add a muzzle break , that would really tame it, but ear protection is a must. Thats not a problem shooting at distance, because you've usually got time to put in protection, at close range your screwed because no one wants to walk around hunting and not hearing. If funds are'nt limited you could go with a silencer, about $1000. but that also adds weight out on the end of the barrel plus the added lenght. You could add weight to the gun which helps recoil Like Bipod, Heavier stock, mercury recoil eliminator, but then you' got the added weight to lug around, in the mountains it would'nt take long for you to dislike the weight. You've got 2 excellent calibers in your guns, expecially for longrange, You've just got to decide what works best in what scenario and make it work for you. There's just no perfect gun/bullet combination for everything. In my opinion you on the right track with the Amax if they shoot that well for you, they sure make mine a tack driver!!! Wayne

My rifle is a savage 7mm rem mag. I worked the load already and get 1/2 to 3/4 inch @ 200 yards. I shot a 3 string group through the chrono and got 3156,3154,and 3161 fps. I can blow up milk jugs out to 800 regularly. There has just been a few nay sayers that i have talked to about hunting with this setup. Mainly just the bullet. The local gunsmith (who does not shoot long range) thinks i should use the sst or accubond. Neither of which i have had as good of groups with.

Thanks for that muleman. One thing i forgot to mention about the 300 is that it only has a 3-9x40 burris with b-plex. Works great to about 500 or so but after that i kinda lose confidence in it. I have shot it out to 1000 but only at inadement targets. the amount of kentucky windage past 500 is not the way i want to shoot at animals. My 7mm on the other hand has a good turret scope with higher power. When I fist got the 300 it was purely for "more power". Since then i have grown up some and want precision and disstance. So i started the 7mm build. Now i cant afford a new scope for a while.

got a deer at 500 yards with 7 mm stw using 162 grain A-Max and right behind right side shoulder and into left sidand lost the shoulder half of rib cage . only went about 10 yards . shooting at 3092 fps

They are the best. The perfect combo hunting and target bullet. I have used them from 6 mm through the 30 cal 208s and they have all been really effective from close to way out there. You will like them a lot

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.