A MAX and Partition OAL question

gordonl

What is the general consensus here about the OAL's for the 168 A MAX and 180 Partition?
Do they like to be loaded long or short?
Im currently using the book OAL when I load them.
If I was to try out different OAL's how would I go about doing it SAFELY??

Shooting 30-06 X bolt with a 22in barrel.

First we need to distinguish between OAL and CBTO. OAL technically refers to the length between the base and the bullet tip. CBTO is the "OAL" from the base to the bullet's ogive. If you intend to work with lengths of loaded rounds you're best bet is to obtain the equipment to measure CBTO. If you already have that equipment, combine that gear with a comparator.

Lock-N-Load OAL Gauge (Straight) : LENGTH GAUGE | Brownells

SINCLAIR INSERT STYLE BULLET COMPARATOR | Brownells

Once you've determined chamber length you'll know where the ogive of the bullet touches the lands. From that point you can work backwards to determine how much "jump" you want to apply to the loaded round.
Before you go too far, I'd recommend spending a few hours reading all you can about the relationship between primers, powder charges, primers, neck tension, and bullet seating depths.

APPLIED BALLISTICS BY BRYAN LITZ | Sinclair Intl

Beyond the Basics: Developing Your Own Loads

The Importance of Bullet Seating Depth |

What is the general consensus here about the OAL's for the 168 A MAX and 180 Partition?
Do they like to be loaded long or short?
Im currently using the book OAL when I load them.
If I was to try out different OAL's how would I go about doing it SAFELY??

Shooting 30-06 X bolt with a 22in barrel.
Neither of those bullets is sensitive to seating depth.

Every rifle is a bit different so you'd just have to play with seating depth to see what it likes best.

I'd pick a powder and a bullet, and find a load that gives you best accuracy and then adjust seating depth being careful to watch for pressure signs to see if you can tighten it up from there.

Most factory rifles are going to be throated very close to SAAMI specs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.