another max range elk question

jpeaston

Last year I passed on an oppurtunity on a nice bull at 862 yards, conditions were absolutly ideal with a rock solid rest (literally), calmest weather the whole week I was there. Broadside for about ten minutes. I hadn't had enough practice at the time to feel comfortable with the shot, and had a previously self imposed 600 yard limit. I have been thinking about that all year and am getting ready to go back to Colorado and have been seriously thinking about that shot if it is presented again, as I plan to hunt the same exact spot.

My knowledge and marksmenship have increased greatly and I know my load is not ideal for that shot, but was wondering what you guys thought. I know I need an "elk rifle" but it is not going to happen in the next 30 days, although it will before 2012.

On google earth I think I have found a spot that will get me to around 600 yards of that same spot, and will attempt to do that, but in case it doesn't work out I want to hear your guys' thoughts.

load- plain ole 7 mag, 180 berger hvld, 2835 fps, regularly hold half moa out to 800 yards, and seem to drop into .5 to .85 moa at 1000 yards, 3 shot group, cold bore included. Cold bore shot in good conditions within .5 moa of point of aim. drops dead on, and field verified.

I can't count how many milk jugs I have 1st shot punched at 850 yards in the last year, probably 30 or so. I didn't keep track of hit miss ratio, but I can only remember two misses, that were definately m.o.e. Remember I am asking only if conditions are ideal, as they were last year.

This is a serious question, and I wouldn't asking be you guys if I were unethical. And no matter what the responses are, I will ultimatley make the decision. I have plans to shoot exactly 862 yards the day before season, at relativly same conditions and altitude as potential spot, for some final pondering. I am very confident in hitting the target, and hitting it well, just am worried about energy.

Sub MOA at a grand, impressive. If you feel confident in your self and the equipment, then you have already answered the question. I wouldn't worry about it. JMO

Last year I passed on an oppurtunity on a nice bull at 862 yards, conditions were absolutly ideal with a rock solid rest (literally), calmest weather the whole week I was there. Broadside for about ten minutes. I hadn't had enough practice at the time to feel comfortable with the shot, and had a previously self imposed 600 yard limit. I have been thinking about that all year and am getting ready to go back to Colorado and have been seriously thinking about that shot if it is presented again, as I plan to hunt the same exact spot.

My knowledge and marksmenship have increased greatly and I know my load is not ideal for that shot, but was wondering what you guys thought. I know I need an "elk rifle" but it is not going to happen in the next 30 days, although it will before 2012.

On google earth I think I have found a spot that will get me to around 600 yards of that same spot, and will attempt to do that, but in case it doesn't work out I want to hear your guys' thoughts.

load- plain ole 7 mag, 180 berger hvld, 2835 fps, regularly hold half moa out to 800 yards, and seem to drop into .5 to .85 moa at 1000 yards, 3 shot group, cold bore included. Cold bore shot in good conditions within .5 moa of point of aim. drops dead on, and field verified.

I can't count how many milk jugs I have 1st shot punched at 850 yards in the last year, probably 30 or so. I didn't keep track of hit miss ratio, but I can only remember two misses, that were definately m.o.e. Remember I am asking only if conditions are ideal, as they were last year.

This is a serious question, and I wouldn't asking be you guys if I were unethical. And no matter what the responses are, I will ultimatley make the decision. I have plans to shoot exactly 862 yards the day before season, at relativly same conditions and altitude as potential spot, for some final pondering. I am very confident in hitting the target, and hitting it well, just am worried about energy.
Emphasis mine.

That my friend is the most important part of the entire equation.

Just don't try to punch it through both shoulders low and you'll be fine.

Put it in the heart, put it high in the shoulder for a spine shot.

Either way he's dirt dead when you pull the trigger. At worst, with a heart shot you're probably looking at him running a hundred yards at most. With a lung shot, 200.

If you know you have a solid hit though and he does run a ways give him thirty minutes to bleed out and expire before you begin the track and everything should be just fine.

IMHO...at that distance and what that load...you are on the "light edge" of being A-OK. If you are sure of the shot...that you can put it where it needs to go...have at it.

if you can hold .5 MOA to 850 I'd say go for it. Good advise thus far, dont go for the shoulders and make sure that its a good shot. I would recomend having a spotter assigned to spotting where the animal goes after the shot if at all possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.