A good .223 Round??

I am trying to find a load for a new Savage FCP k 223 in 1/9 twist ,24 " barrel
I tried 55 gr VMax and , 55 Gr FMJ and it is like a shot gun [ all over the place]
I am assuming I need to shoot a heaver bullet
Looking at 60 gr Sierra or 65 gr Gameking
I do PD and Ground hogs
I should be able to get 1/4 inch at 100yds but ain't
Anyone have any recommendations on bullet and loads to get this beast to be the tack driver it is supposed to be .
Thanks to you all who offer help.

My standard load is 27.0 grs of BL-C, Federal Primers, WW Brass, 50 to 55 grs bullets (bulk bullets, Nosler, & Sierra too).

This past summer I used a load based upon Benchmark powder, Rem BR primers, LC surplus brass, and Rem 50gr HP bulk bullets for a PD shoot in Wyo. They were sub 0.5 moa, no problems, went thru 1500 rds, excellent results out to 300 yds. beyond that I was at the mercy of the wind.

I shoot a Rem M700 VS.

Good luck,

tks
Seems fairly basic
The factory rounds I am using are similar yet not performing so now I will reload and experiment
Was hoping to avoid the need to experiment on such a basic round .
The gun should be a tack driver out of the box
I went through the trouble of breaking in the barrel ,something I generally do not do ,and still it is not performing as it should .
I am assuming the problem is loads and bullet types and not barrel.

The best factory load i have ever used in a 223rem was Hornady TAP ammunition with the 55gr V-Max bullet it would shoot 1/4" at 100yrds and was'nt affraid to reach out to 400or better when i did my part and it will blow the snot out of GroundHogs and vaporize praire dogs all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.