A Few Quick Questions

I like the way your boss thinks, 416 Barrett is the way to go. Seriously I would look towards a 7mm-08 and for a rifle that doesn't cost a lot but is a great gun look at savage., weatherby vanguard, howa 1500, or Remington model 7.. For a sling while carrying on walks I would look at claw slings, they are rubber so they don't slide around on your shoulder to much they grip the clothing. If you have any reason to sling the rifle across your body you may want something like the Viking tactical sling.

Still think the 7/08 would be good except for the big bear thing. For a real big bear stopper it would be hard to get away from recoil. JMO
All things considered, I think this might be a decent choice. 6 pounds, Youth model. Ruger American Compact/Youth model.

1696854950783.png

I'd suggest a Tikka T3x in stainless. Caliber of your. Choosing. Grab a compact stock. It's shorter LOP or length of pull will fit you better.

I'm partial to these slings for your application. One shoulder traditional use or two shoulder backpack style for use on atv's or horseback where you are getting bounced around. It keeps it rock solid in place.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a Tikka T3x in stainless. Caliber of your. Choosing. Grab a compact stock. It's shorter LOP or length of pull will fit you better.

I'm partial to these slings for your application. One shoulder traditional use or two shoulder backpack style for use on atv's or horseback where you are getting bounced around. It keeps it rock solid in place.

I'd tend to agree with Tikka over Ruger American. The one big plus (other than just being much higher quality overall) is the safety locks the bolt closed on the Tikka, I believe. Not sure it does on the American... Either way, you don't want your bolt coming open out in the field, on horseback, etc.

My vote caliber wise is also the 7mm-08. I'm making an assumption that you dont reload, but with some copper solids it would be plenty for black bears. Plus the lighter weight bullets really bring the recoil down as well.

I'd tend to agree with Tikka over Ruger American. The one big plus (other than just being much higher quality overall) is the safety locks the bolt closed on the Tikka, I believe. Not sure it does on the American... Either way, you don't want your bolt coming open out in the field, on horseback, etc.

My vote caliber wise is also the 7mm-08. I'm making an assumption that you dont reload, but with some copper solids it would be plenty for black bears. Plus the lighter weight bullets really bring the recoil down as well.

Yeah, agreed on the Tikka over the Ruger, I was just considering the price differential.

That cabin speaks to me.

This thread is a lesson to others who don't ask simple questions and end up learning the hard way.

Congrats to winning life so soon!

Many people think that I am weird, renting out my condo in Vancouver, and moving into a 20' by 24' cabin, that doesn't even have a bathroom or running water. I have my own 8 foot porch with BBQ, table & chairs, that has a view of the forest and river.
I don't take the keys out of my pickup or quad, theft and crime is non existent here.
Heard some noise this morning while still in bed, just assumed it was the dogs, so yelled " GOOD MORNING PUPS" and heard a bark and whine as a reply, so got up and opened my door, in came 8 dogs to greet me to the new day, they stayed a couple minutes, then gone.
For a girl from the city, this is paradise!
Person closest to me is Gabrielle aka Gabs, who lives in a cabin just 800' away from mine. The large bunk house has 11 men in it, it has water, and is about 3500' past Gabs place. Then the new house, where my boss lives was built in 2013, and is huge. He lives there with his wife, and 4 kids. Which is only about 2700' from my cabin, but in the other direction. From the road, I have to pass the main house to get to my cabin. If I go in the back basement entrance of my employer's home, there is a nice bathroom, Gabs and I share.

The only downside is that sling requires a larger person, i wear a size XS shirt, buy my jeans in the childrens department much of the time.
My employer has a 12 year old daughter, who is a giant in my opinion, because she is already larger than I am.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Never heard of it, so will do some reading on them.
Power wise it's probably somewhere between a 308 and a 30-06 but uses 32 caliber bullets. It's what the Germans used in WW2 largely but it's still used worldwide as a nice all-around cartridge no differently than 308 or 30-06. You see them more in Europe or Africa generally but most European brands chamber rifles in them.

I like the way your boss thinks, 416 Barrett is the way to go. Seriously I would look towards a 7mm-08 and for a rifle that doesn't cost a lot but is a great gun look at savage., weatherby vanguard, howa 1500, or Remington model 7.. For a sling while carrying on walks I would look at claw slings, they are rubber so they don't slide around on your shoulder to much they grip the clothing. If you have any reason to sling the rifle across your body you may want something like the Viking tactical sling.

My boss has a wonderful sense of humor.
But he is usually not far away from his beloved 338, which is his favorite. But he is large, so I would guess in comparison of sizes my 7mm prc is huge compared to me, as his 338 would be to him. He shoots that 338 from the saddle like it was a 22. I knew that he was strong when we first met, but a few weeks into working for him I learned how strong. We were in a trench he had me dig with an excavator, putting in a drain pipe, and some rock, to help control water coming off the shop roof during rain storms. The trench was deeper than I am tall, and it was time to get out. I had on my coveralls, he grabbed me by the coveralls, and just sort of tossed me up and out of the trench we were in. To say that I was shocked by his strength would be an understatement. My father, brothers, and male friends in the city would regularly work out in a gym. My boss has never been to a gym, and has 10 times their strength. I used to hit the gym 5 days a week, and ran 4 days a week. Since moving here, I no longer go jogging or to a gym, and my strength and aerobic conditioning are much better than they were.
I had been here a few weeks, when my boss said throw those 4 semi truck tires into your company truck, and take them to Kal tire. Sounded simple enough, until I was trying to lift them into the box of my truck. Then he realized I needed help. He said watch out and tossed them up there like nothing. I have no idea what a semi tire and wheel combination weigh, but he made it look easy, and for me that was like mission impossible. This summer, I was asked to put 2 into my truck, and run them out to a driver who had 2 flats a couple hundred kms away. I loaded 2 tires on my own. Yes it was all I could do to load them, and I broke a good sweat, but was super proud of myself.
Grabbed a jack, tools, and off I went. Drove 2 hours, found him, together we changed them on the side of the road, and headed home. It made me aware of how much stronger I've become.

Not familiar with Tikka rifles, so will look them up.
My ammunition comes in a box from a store.
Remington for 22, Federal for 30-30, Hornady for 7mm prc.