300 WSM A few questions please

DartonJager

I have stumbled on a killer deal on a LNIB stainless Tikka T3 Light in 300 WSM. I have ever since Winchester first came out with the caliber wanted a rifle chambered for it, now I have a great opportunity to get one. I have literally NEVER fired a single round of factory ammo through any of my CF bolt guns, only reloads, and it would be the same for any 300 WSM I would buy.

My only concern is except for extremely expensive Norma or Nosler brass costing btwn $1.70-$2.00+ each I can not find any less expensive brass made by Winchester, Federal, or Remington in stock anywhere and I have tried every online and OTC source I could find.

What I need to know is if this difficulty in finding reasonably priced 300 WSM brass for sale is a forever thing or only temporary? Even factory ammo is averaging close to $40 per box making for a quite expensive way to obtain brass. Does anyone think the 300 WSM rifle or brass is in danger of going out of production?

lastly does anyone reading this feel in the long run (I hang on to my rifles forever) I would be better served by 300 WM instead?

I plan on using it for elk and deer hunting and picked the Tikka line for it's excellent rep for accuracy quality.

Thanks,
Arthur.

I have stumbled on a killer deal on a LNIB stainless Tikka T3 Light in 300 WSM. I have ever since Winchester first came out with the caliber wanted a rifle chambered for it, now I have a great opportunity to get one. I have literally NEVER fired a single round of factory ammo through any of my CF bolt guns, only reloads, and it would be the same for any 300 WSM I would buy.

My only concern is except for extremely expensive Norma or Nosler brass costing btwn $1.70-$2.00+ each I can not find any less expensive brass made by Winchester, Federal, or Remington in stock anywhere and I have tried every online and OTC source I could find.

What I need to know is if this difficulty in finding reasonably priced 300 WSM brass for sale is a forever thing or only temporary? Even factory ammo is averaging close to $40 per box making for a quite expensive way to obtain brass. Does anyone think the 300 WSM rifle or brass is in danger of going out of production?

lastly does anyone reading this feel in the long run (I hang on to my rifles forever) I would be better served by 300 WM instead?

I plan on using it for elk and deer hunting and picked the Tikka line for it's excellent rep for accuracy quality.

Thanks,
Arthur.
As far as Norma brass goes , it is worth every penny. Very consistent.
I spent a lot of time on brass prep on 300wsm Winchester brass (I don't mind because I kind of enjoy it). Quite a few cull pieces though .

I have 270wsm, 300wsm and 300WM barrels ,my favorite is 300WM because of performance but I really have affection for the WSM case. It's just a neat, efficient case thats built like a tank.

If you're getting a good deal on the wsm, by all means go for it.
My little brother bought a Tikka T3 light 300wsm and it drives tacks at 100 yards (thats as far as I had time to shoot it for him) with 150 NBT and imr4350.

I would definetely choose the 300wm over the wsm all other things being equal. But you didnt say you were getting a killer deal on a win mag...

ive got both the 300wsm and the 300WM.

Performance is favored in the 300WM. brass is much more attainable and cheaper, plus they feed so much better. My 300WSM fed like crap before extensive polishing the feed ramp/lips. now it feeds "ok" next i will be taking a few "thou" off the lips in hopes that it cures the jamming issues.

If i did it over, i wouldnt even give the WSM a chance.

Just my two bits.

I have both; 1 WSM and 3 WMs ... you'll be better served with the .300 WM.

Sadly, the .300 WSM brass are getting harder as noted. Luckily, I have secured enough brass for the life of my barrel. :Dgun)

A lot depends on what your plans are for the rifle. If you are going to do a lot of mountain climbing and hunting in wet country, A light stainless rifle would have some advantages. I bought a 300 WSM about 2004 when it first hit the market in a Kimber 8400 Montana. To keep it light this rifle wears a 2.5 X 8 Leopold VXIII and nylon Sling, weighs about 7 1/4 lb. This rifle likes 180 gr. bullets, I have taken Deer, Elk, and Caribou. I sort of limit my shots to 300 yds. My hunting buddy hunts with a 17 lb. 30 inch barrel 300 Rum with a 5.5 X24 Night Force. He can have the shots over 300 yds. Or I am going to have to be sneaky.

I have a 300 WSM and 300Wby.

The WSM has enough performance to do the job.

Of the rifles built for it, I would not miss an opportunity for a Tika T3 Lite.

:D:D:D

My new personal rule comes into effect/affect here.... I'll take the rifle with no problem along with 150/200 pieces of brass.... No brass=No sale !! ... What good is one without the other...I think things in our reloading world are going through now and worse coming shortly " major changes " ...you have something a little odd-ball ?? You'd better take that little extra cash and buy that 50 bag of brass laying in your local gun shoppe you'd been looking at.. When I start hearing .300wm brass getting scarce it's time to take action !

Good advice from people who have replied. Me personally the Norma brass is well worth the $2 each (It is very consistent and generally no culls in a box). I don't see the WSM brass becoming unavailable but might only be manufactured a couple times a year at the Win/Fed/Rem factory. If you are getting a killer deal in the WSM then by all means Id go for it. But if I had to choose one over the other and was concerned about brass and expenses Id definitely go with win mag, because its not going anywhere and the components will be much easier to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.