A Classic Long Range Rifle

hillbillybear

I lucked to this .300 H&H recently. Its a Model 1917 Enfield action that has been rebarreled and restocked. The rifle has a very nice high polish blue, a cock on open kit has been installed, the trigger breaks at about 2.5 pounds with just a hint of a two stage take up, and the stock has been glass bedded and free floated. It has been drilled and tapped for a Weaver side mount. I mounted a nice old Weaver 3-9 that I found while pillaging thru my dad's gun collection.

I hope to range test it for the first time next week.

pix193794453.jpg

300handh002.jpg

300handh006.jpg

Nice Rifle! I like it a lot, the 300H&H is not a cartridge that is talked about too much, but it is an exceptional cartridge. I remember shooting an old pre-64 Winchester model 70 in 300 H&H when I was 14 or 15 years old. I was impressed at the recoil to say the least :D It did hit exactly where I was aiming though.

Let us know how it shoots.

AJ

I did get to try my .300 H&H some yesterday. The old rifle shoots great. 165 NBT did about 1.25 inches but the 190 Hornady BTSP and the 200 grain Speer GS drop into nice, tidy 3/4 inch groups.

The only downside, besides the weather being too wet for me to risk the camera for pictures and the Chrony showing its ***, is that the wonderful old Weaver scope has developed a problem. This appeared on the fifth shot when it was knocked loose. There is a piece of something (about the size of a postage stamp) that looks like black cellophane or black rubber (gasket)? floating around inside the eyepiece.

It doesn't affect the ability of the scope to zero or hold zero it just obscures the sight picture and you have to tilt the rifle to get it to move out of the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.