My First Long Range Rifle

longrange.270

Here is my first long range rifle. Since I've bought it back in August 08 I've put 500 rounds through it and loving it.
Its a Remington 700 SPS in stainless in 300 Win Mag, it has a Rifle Basix trigger, DE Muzzle Brake, Bushnell Elite 3200 5x15 Target Turrets, Burris Extreme Low Rings, EGW 20 MOA Base (thanks CWCruiser). Oh and it LOVES THE BIG BULLETS!!!! Thanks for taking the time and looking. Jake

Thanks for the complements. I have since added a B&C Tactical Medalist A-2 stock[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and it has helped out tons. Round count is now over 700.
100_0441.jpg

[/FONT]

It is made for heavy contour barrels. There is plenty of room around a sporter contour barrel. I'm planning on getting it rebarrelled before the end of the year with either a MTU contour or a heavier sporter contour, so it should work very nicely. Jake

Before the new stock, the barrel was not free floating and i was getting anywhere from 1.250 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Since putting the new stock on I'm getting .750 to 1.00 inch groups at 100 yards and I haven't even bedded the stock yet. Just took it out of the box and straight on to the rifle. When I get the new barrel put on, I will probably go ahead and bed the stock to the action and never look back. Plus to me, at least, the stock is much more comfortable to shoot off the bench or from the prone position then the old tupperware stock. Jake

Hello Jake,
Congratulations on your rig, it sure looks very nice. Hoping that it will get to shoot better when your change its barrel and bed it.
Just couple questions: would you recommend the scope? How good is the glass and does it return precisely to your zero point? Planning on getting a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5x16x42 myself, just wanted to know your opinion.
Thanks

jake- ill take the date as long as i get to walk away et the end of the night with the scope.:D
haha ok maybe not, but how do u find the scope. is ist clear at the end of its magnification, does it have the same aim point through magnification, hows it dialing, comes back to zero, is actually moa? not part there of.
im looking for a scope for my .223. im shooting bunnies so it has to be precise.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts