96 stock for a yugo

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bamadawg2009, Mar 29, 2012.

1. bamadawg2009

bamadawg2009 Well-Known Member

Ok guys last question about the yugo. I know it has been mentioned but has anybody ever fit a mauser 96 stock to a Yugo48? The screw spacing is the same but the yugo is a large ring as opposed to the small ring 96. I really want a BC medalist for my build but I know the difference in the ring is .25 of an in. and I was wondering if i did fit it would the stock still be rigid enough to stand the abuse of a 300WSM. Or would it be better just to get a laminated boyds stock made specifically for the Yugo action?

2. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

The answer is, yes you can , but you won't like the results. Use the correct one.

3. bamadawg2009

bamadawg2009 Well-Known Member

Yep thats probably what Im going to do. I talked to B+C today and they said first of all it voids the warranty "REALLY?" but they also said nobody they are aware of besides Boyds makes a decent sporter stock for the gun. I had already made my mind up to go with a Boyds Prairie Hunter in pepper laminate if I couldn't find a synthetic for this build. I went with a Boyds on my 280AI last year and am very pleased with quality and look of that stock.