9 year old's 1st Turkey

7mmSendaro

Last weekend was the youth turkey season here in Illinois. The birds were really tight lipped on the roost but after much coaxing, we got them to gooble at least once. The real excitement was having 3 coyotes come running full tilt out of the brush at us at 30 yards in response to a mouth howl. We were trying to roost turkeys right at dusk and didn't even have a gun!

Sunday morning at about 7:00 AM this double bearded jake made the mistake of running into our decoys. Jared dropped him at about 20 yards with his 11-87 20 gauge. He's still on cloud nine!

J_s_turkey_09_sm_.JPG

That is a wonderful picture.

The 11-87 20 gauge is what I got for my son when he was young. It is a great gun. I now use it a lot.

We are about a 10 days away from turkey season here. Of course I seldom kill any turkeys but I really like to go and just be in the woods in the Spring. Its a great time of the year.

Your son is killing me:D! He's only 9 and he beatin' me at everything!:) Good for him! Congratulations!!

Congrats Jared, thats a pretty big milestone to have accomplished by age 9. Im very impressed! Good job! Its pretty exciting stuff, just to go hunting with your dad, but to whack a double bearded Jake is flat AWESOME!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts