8mm Thread

Nosler brass for 8mm Rem Mag from MidwayUSA is $2.35/piece.

Nosler Custom ammunition in 8mm Rem Mag loaded with 200 gr AccuBonds to an advertised 3000 fps is $2.84 per round from MidwayUSA.

Why in the world would I buy the brass when I can get the loaded ammo for a little more and just shoot it up and save the brass?
I purchased some nosler brass in 8x57mm mauser. I can reload it in higher pressure than the factory loads. I also can chose what bullet I want. There are alot of good bullets around that factory companies ,do not load. I used it on my last elk hunt.

I purchased some nosler brass in 8x57mm mauser. I can reload it in higher pressure than the factory loads. I also can chose what bullet I want. There are alot of good bullets around that factory companies ,do not load. I used it on my last elk hunt.

Smart done! Always use CIP - load data while loading European cartridges. CIP is working on a much higher pressure level than SAAMI in these particular cases. Looking at the venerable 8 x 57 IS this may give you a win of 300fps in velocity ... :)

Strongly considering re-barrelling a Rem 700 7mmRM into an 8mmRM.

Will the feed rails need a bit of opening up for the new cartridge ?

--OR--

I could maybe use a different donor action, a 300RUM. Would the
8mm feed well without any further messaging of the 300 RUM ?

Strongly considering re-barrelling a Rem 700 7mmRM into an 8mmRM.

Will the feed rails need a bit of opening up for the new cartridge ?

--OR--

I could maybe use a different donor action, a 300RUM. Would the
8mm feed well without any further messaging of the 300 RUM ?
If it is already a 7mmRM, there should be no need for any extra modifications to the action, as both cartridges are based off the .300 H&H.

I have a used set of RCBS FL 8RM dies and "a little over a box" of 200 gr Nosler Partitions coming from a helpful guy on another forum.

I already have a box of 200 gr AccuBonds. I have H4831SC and RL22 and 1000 Federal 215M.
Almost ready to start reloading.

By the way my 8x57 is now ,a Ackley improved. And living in California I have to use copper bullets. I use Barnes TTSX bullets for hunting.gun)

New McMillan stock on the Big 8 :D

stock%20l_zpskuvnfl1p.jpg

stock%20r_zps8xtzeojw.jpg

Hi
Thus thread is kinda old, but I d like to revive it. The rig I m curently working on is not a 8RM, but a 8x57IS, and I want to push it out to 1000 metes. Handloads I developed for my hunting rifle worked great up to 500 meters (SST and SMK), and according to ballistic calculators SMK should stay above speed of sound at that range.

In my opinion the 170gr SST fits the bill perfectly. Much better than the 200gr SMK. Why? 200gr are too heavy for the 8x57IS to get pushed with sufficient velocity when the coal is shooting at 1 k. While shooting the 170gr. SST gives you the opportunity of using the "miracle propellant", the Hogdon CFE 223. Nothing (!) is better and more suited for bullet weights between 160 - 170gr in a 8x57IS. With 160gr TSX Barnes you will reach 900 m/s or 2953 fps ... 170gr will be accelerated with ca. 2800 fps. Here we start talking LR. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip :) Hodgdon isnt that much available here where I live, but I will certainly consider this (and try it first time I can get my hands on these components).
For now I have to stick to N140 and SMK's (SST is my preferred hunting round). With current 23.5" barrel and load developed I have 2600 fps with these two. Barrel on a build rig is a bit longer, 25,6".

Help!

I'm not that bad a shot, really. But I can't figure out why this thing won't shoot. Remington 700 8mm Remington Magnum in McMillan stock. I thought maybe the original stock, which did have issues, might have been causing my accuracy problems. Well, the new stock with LimbSaver recoil pad does a lot to tame the kick but doesn't seem to improve my grouping. 3.25 MOA is disappointing. Factory Nosler ammunition shooting 200 gr AccuBonds.

EDIT: Nothing seems to be loose.

bad target.jpg

Torque all your action screws to 45 inch-pounds if you have a wooden stock, and 65 inch-pounds if you have a synthetic stock with aluminum bed block (or aluminum pillars that are bedded).

Also, check your scope base screws, make sure they're properly torqued to manufacturer's specs, and make sure the rings and cap screws are properly torqued to spec. Also, make sure that scope is a proven scope that is not damaged.

Next, if all else checks out, and it's still having problems, I would look towards ammunition, and would start reloading for it. You can then tailor your loads for your rifle and will most likely bring that down to closer to MOA, and in some cases, better than MOA.