8mm Rem. / 300 Rem. Ultra

Idaho Shooter

Friends and colleague,
After decades of hunting with an 8mm Remington Magnum I have decided to start tweaking my hand loads to see what kind of accuracy can really be achieved. I know the 8mm doesn't have any style when it comes to high BC bullets but it has killed everything I have shot at over the years. In fact, one season I dropped an elk in its tracks, which is on par for this gun however, I missed the shot! Yes, I know what your thinking has this writer gone daft? Honestly, it happened but a story for another time.
All of that to ask one simple question. Because loading data for the 8mm Remington is scares is it reasonable to think that I can use 300 Remington Ultra Magnum data as starting point? Of course, my thinking is that they are essentially the same case so load data should be transferable. Right? Is my thinking correct or have I missed something? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you
Greg

With e-net I think there would be plenty of info, use this site search function. Also Hodgon puts out a mag style reloading manual every year and it has 8 RM info

Idaho, I would also say NO. The 8mm rem and 300 ultra are not the same case at all, similar in length is really as close as the similarities get. The 300 ultra is much larger in diameter and has a much larger case capacity. Im sure there is a wealth of load data if you spend a little time with google, Best Luck!

8RM=99 H20. 300rum=110 h20. That is a big difference. 10 % So it would seem if you took low load - 10 %. But why not just find right info?

Hodgdon has plenty of information on their website to get you going. If I was going to load for an 8mm Rem Mag, I'd use Barnes 200 gr TSX bullets and some H4831 powder. I friend of mine has hunted with an 8 mag for at least 20 years. He uses RL-22 for his loads. There is enough info out there that you don't really need anything to compare to but if you must have something, a 300 Weatherby should get close if you use the same bullet weights.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.