85gr SGK

Dave Schenck

I have just returned from an exceptionally successful hunting trip and wish to sing the praises of Sierra's 85gr hollow point gameking in .243! Wow - what a bullet! I shot 14 animals up 80 kg in weight and if they were not dumped on the spot it was my bad shot placement - most did fall immediately. If anyone is considering using these little 6mm bullets DO NOT HESITATE!!! They are potent and above all their accuracy is astounding. 5 of the animals were shot beyond 250m and there was still plenty energy - in two cases I shot right through the animal. This is beyond doubt the best bullet I have used - 2 head shots were taken at 300m with pin point accuracy. Well done Sierra - I am impressed! I have been using these bullets for about a year now and finally fine tuned the load. I am a happy man. I wonder what the limit of it's performance is regarding animal size and distance. From what I experienced I am sure it will drop vewrey large animals fast - comments please?:)

Wim, they are running at 3300fps - I chronied 5 shots and that was the average - very small spread too.

I like the Game Kings too as they are super accurate out of my Cooper. What load did u settle on, mine is 44.8gns of H4831sc?

Hey Lime Dog,

If you dont mind my asking, What is your load specs?

I was just wondering as I have a cooper 243 that I was just gonna start load developement for and just so happens it was gonna be with these bullets.

Thanks Alot for any info you could provide.

Dave,

Congrats on your hunt, WOW! 14 animals sounds like you had a hell of a time. Any chance for pics and a story :)

Im gonna start load developement with these bullets soon in my 243 as well. Im sure they'll prove to be accurate as well

Good Shooting,

Dave

loads

Lime Dawg
I am using a South African propellant called S355. 41gr with a CCI BR primer in Federal brass and the bullets are seated to touch the lands. I have molycoated the bullets. shot placement is vital to preserve meat - if you stray onto shoulder bones you get serious damage. I shoot just behind the shoulder and it dumps them every time.
Wildcat,
i will spend some time writing up the hunts and post later - we hunted every day for 5 days and shot animals every day. The biggest was a 300 pound Kudu with a 135gr SMK in my .270. I am having trouble posting pics so imight write the staory and send it to Len to put up like the other story I wrote about "Dad can I come with"
Dave

Ah Africa!!! Thats what I was thinking when I first read your post. I can only hope I get to see her beauty again but if I never do I will still die a happy man as I have fulfilled a life long dream of hunting the Dark Continent and wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING.

I'll be looking forward to your story and pics as well!

If you dont mind my asking, What animals did you take with this bullet? What area in South Africa were you hunting?

Happy Hunting & Good Shooting,

Dave

Eastern Cape

Hello Dave,
We hunted in the high mountains of the Eastern Cape in the Tarkastad district. It is a tiny place but if you google it you get a result! A google search will show two flat top peaks called mary and martha - we hunted mainly on those. The animals shot were mainly mountain reedbuck but there were two springbuck and 3 blesbuck shot. The one blesbuck ram was measured at 17,5 inches and qualifies for Rowland Ward by a full inch. It is currently being shoulder mounted by roy hayes in Tarkastad. It is a wonderful part of the world and certainly worth a visit - different to the bushveld areas but just as rich in game and hunting.
Dave

Hello Dave,

Sounds Like a beautiful place I will look it up on google sometime! I would like to hunt Nyala in the Kwa Zulu Natal region of South Africa. It is a very beautiful animal and also Bushbuck.

Thats a fine Blesbok you got post some pics when its done I know id like to see it.

I hunted in Namibia for plains game as well If my memory is correct we hunted in Okanjati didnt take a blesbok while there but they are a very nice animal and just another reason to return :) I managed 3 Kudu a Gemsbok a couple of blue wildebeest and giraffe. It was a blast and great time for sure!

Take care and Happy hunting,

Dave

My accurate load with these goes out at 3040 very consistently (37.0 Varget). They are capable of .25 MOA groups, but a little slower than what Dave shoots. I also have an accurate 85 TSX load that is hotter...3200. But the way these SGK HPBTs expand on inanimate things I've shot, I can understand why they'd be so lethal on animals as long as you got penetration.

So my question is, would you feel comfortable about using them on a large buck...say 275 lb, at 300 - 400 yards? I would take a heart/lung shot at that range even though at targets it shoots 1" - 3" out there. I'm concerned a 85gr bullet is a little light for an animal that big at that distance. Doesn't leave much room for error.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.