243 win and 85gr tsx

bobcat trapper

I am getting ready for a upcoming antelope hunt and have a 243win that shoots barnes 85gr tsx's very well at 3150fps but i am worried about them being to tough and not expanding at all any thoughts on this bullet and antelope?

Thanks bobcat trapper

I'd wager they'll do absolutely fine, an 85 grain bullet is probably designed for small game. Put some milk jugs filled with water out and shoot them, and you'll have your answer.

We took 2 speedgoats last year with 85 gr Sierra Game Kings in our 6/284. They worked great. I think the TSX is a great bullet too and will serve you fine, as long as your rifle likes them. I have had two rifles that copper fouled with TSX's in 10 to 15 shots. I hate scrubbing out copper so went a different route. But like I said if your accuracy stays with ya you should be fine.

Jeff

I am getting ready for a upcoming antelope hunt and have a 243win that shoots barnes 85gr tsx's very well at 3150fps but i am worried about them being to tough and not expanding at all any thoughts on this bullet and antelope?

Thanks bobcat trapper

I've had excellent results with the 85gr TSX on blackbuck antelope, guanacos and red deer doe. All animals in the medium game class.

All of them went down with just one-shot at distances ranging from 150 to 600 yards.

On the other hand, out of an out-of-the-box Ruger KM77 it's quite to obtain 1" groups at 164 yards.

I talked with Randy Patton at Barnes a while back and he said that the 85 gr TXS's should achieve maximum expansion down to 2000 to 2100 fps. So if I figure right, if you keep your shots below 400 yards you should get maximum expansion. If you are planning on going much farther than that you may want to look at another bullet.

David

My son shoots 85 grain TSX's in his 243 @ 3000 fps (20" barrel)...they will expand in a pronghorn.

The TSX bullets expand faster than most other bullets...most of the time.

IMHO there is no better bullet EVER made than the 85gr Sierra game king! I have taken over 40 medium sized African buck with these over the last three years up to 300m and not one has walked more than 20 steps. The vast majority dropped in their shadow! I was at the range yesterday shooting off the 300m mark at steel plates the size of an A4 page. I was taking dead center about two thirds up the plate and knocked over 7 in a row! They are running at 3300 fps and are extremely accurate. I also experimented with 85gr Rhinos ( a locally made South African premium bullet) and at 300m they punching through 10mm armour plating (military falling plate targets) - I was amazed. Good luck with the hunt - if the Barnes works for you then stay the course - they will certainly do the job every time.

IMHO there is no better bullet EVER made than the 85gr Sierra game king! I have taken over 40 medium sized African buck with these over the last three years up to 300m and not one has walked more than 20 steps. The vast majority dropped in their shadow! I was at the range yesterday shooting off the 300m mark at steel plates the size of an A4 page. I was taking dead center about two thirds up the plate and knocked over 7 in a row! They are running at 3300 fps and are extremely accurate. I also experimented with 85gr Rhinos ( a locally made South African premium bullet) and at 300m they punching through 10mm armour plating (military falling plate targets) - I was amazed. Good luck with the hunt - if the Barnes works for you then stay the course - they will certainly do the job every time.

I have good accurate loads for the 85gr SGK (3040) and the 85gr TSX (3200fps). I also have a good load for Hdy 100gr BTSP Interlocks; 3040fps. I'm going on a deer hunt in the fall where there will likely be big bucks; Colorado Rocky mule deer. Which of these 3 bullets would YOU use? Shots from 50 - 400 yards. You read some of these posts in the Deer Hunting forum, and there are deer run off stories even with larger calibers so I'm concerned about the 243 a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.