800 yd hunting load...Which one of these two should I choose?

Lazerus

I have got 6.5 284 Norma that I have worked up two loads for with cutting edge bullets. I want to tip animals over out to about 800 yds. One is a 130 grain, with a BC of 550, (using RE 22 powder) with an extreme spread of 4. Average group size is well under a half inch, at 2953. THe other one is a 120 grain using H4350 with an identical group size with a BC of 500, but velocity is 3224.(extreme spread is 6). i was using Bergers and getting much better groups, but here in CA they have switched over to copper. TO be honest, there was so much lead strewn through my last animal, that even if they hadn''t switched over, I may have done it voluntarily. Weigh in, and tell me which load I should choose.You guys are always incredibly helpful, thanks!

Run the numbers and use the one that delivers the most energy and least amount of wind at 800. My guess would be the 130. Personally I would use a 140.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts