which one to choose?

alled12

Well my first proper thread. I have a tikka 595 master sporter in 22-250 which I would like to rebarrel and I have come down to a couple of calibres that I am interested in. It is to be a dual purpose rifle, for long range varminting and for the smaller deer species we get in the UK ie roe and muntjac, at extended ranges if necessary. It may also get a bit of a go at long range target shooting. I would like to be able to utilise a 308 magazine in the rifle and it is a short action. The two calibres I have been looking at are:
243 ackley
6-6.5x47lapua
I would like to shoot the 105 bergers or 115 bergers, I was hoping that someone on here may be able to offer advice on these bullets and also some data.
Also barrel length suggestions I am thinking 24 inches heavy sendero profile?
I am open to suggestions on other potential cartridges and the merits of them versus those above, and obviously the merits of the two listed above.
Any help comment or suggestion would be greatfully recieved. I look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited:
It would depend upon availabilty of brass. The 6.5x47 is expensive. Between the two you mention I would choose the 243AI. Although for a varminting gun I would go with the regular 243 to save fire forming time and barrel.

As for as bullets go, I would shoot the 105's and down. The 115 is a good bullet, but seems more difficult to get the best load/accuracy combination.

Long450 thank you very much for the advice and it is added to thoughts running around in my head lol. if only it was an easy decission.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.