8.6 Creedmoor

While I've never reloaded and don't know how to calculate energy
That's easy, punch the numbers (your load and environmental conditions) into a free online ballistic calculator. Google JBM Ballistics trajectory, there are others this is just the one I've used for many years. It/they will tell you all the particulars about the load's terminal performance, out to some really long ranges.

I was just about to say someone just needs to sent a 750gr Amax at 1050fps.

JDJ makes a su
For KE you can take bullet weight X velocity X velocity and divide by 450400
181x3500x3500/450400=4,922

That works good, My 416 produces over 6,000 ft/lbs and will definitely drop 3 or 4 hogs at a time,But it is not quite.:)

J E CUSTOM

IMG_9427.jpg
WOW ! what a cool, super awesome concept, why hasn't anyone thought of doing this yet ?

Wait .......,,,

John Allen Culpepper of the failed "Whiskey 3 Precision" misadventure is probably screaming inside after seeing this

That's easy, punch the numbers (your load and environmental conditions) into a free online ballistic calculator. Google JBM Ballistics trajectory, there are others this is just the one I've used for many years. It/they will tell you all the particulars about the load's terminal performance, out to some really long ranges.
Thanks for explaining.

Remington missed it with the 6.5 Rem. Mag. and 350 Rem. Mag. by first only offering them in short barreled rifles that don't allow them to reach there full potential. Both very good cartridges but the short barrels all but killed them, with the 350 Rem. Mag. being the only one of the two to survive. They say the 6.5 CM's small case changes from that of the .260 make it a better round as well as the barrel twist. If I could afford to by 4 rifles, two .260's and two 6.5 CM's, all four of the same rifle make and model with one of each in 1-10 twist and one of each in 1-8 twist. Then I could work up loads for both cartridges in the same format and barrel twist and see just how they compare with every thing as equal as possible. I think I would find the same thing they found by giving the .223 Rem. faster barrel twist. At any rate it would be fun testing them in that way. Just need the money!

The 260 has a tic more case capacity.

The twist & length barrels offered by Big Green DOA'd the .260 for many.

I had forgotten about this cartridge after its initial introduction until I saw something about it, again, last week. That's a lot of component expense to get .45ACP energy... I think I'd have to step up to the big costs of the .510 Whisper to get legitimate hunting energy in a subsonic. John Brittingham may still be giving interviews hinting that the 8.6 Creedmoor is coming at SHOT Show, but I think it's dead before arrival, personally.

Looking at that drawing, why not just make a 338 Socom(which has been done) and then have the advantages of the smaller platform.

To be honest, I really didn't read much past the drawing of the 3 cartridges.

I agree that what does this do other than use the parent case cut way down that justifies the Creedmoor moniker other than marketing and capitalization of the hype.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor AR and a Tikka T3x Stainless Laminate, and they serve a purpose, but I am not enamored enough to give up my favorite rifle in 30'06.

Old threads are fun to read. The 8.6 Blackout is still ruffling feathers. Full disclosure, I'm almost finished with an AR10 build in 8.6 Blackout. My form 4 approval for the can is probably 9 months out, maybe less, so I'll play with it noisy.
Supposedly the spin of the bullet imparts a lot more force on the animal but I'm not sure about that. I made a spreadsheet to calculate the spin rate of a .338 fired at subsonic velocities from a 1:3 twist barrel and the spin rate was in the same realm as bullet shot from my .338 Edge with a 30" barrel (don't recall the twist rate). I've heard of but never seen instances where people are firing high velocity rounds through a 1:3 barrel and the bullet supposedly self destructs. I can see how that could happen.

One of the things that I like about the AR platform (just FYI. I don't "like" them except for when I do) is the simplicity of changing the barrel. If none of my experiments pan out I can just rebarrel it and shoot it like it was designed.