8.6 Creedmoor

I've shot four or five hogs with 300 BLK subs. Every one ran off without flinching, and I didn't see a trace of blood on the ground. It's like the Lonestar Boars guy on YouTube says: "300 BLKs subs are like stabbing a hog with a pencil." For people wanting to be neighborly shooting hogs, there is a huge need for something bigger.

Add "Creedmoor" to those, and they will sell like crazy......you could just watch the CM Stiffies get a little larger. I have to give Hornady credit though, as far as selling firearm products their promotion team NAILED the Creedmoor.............and with accurate factory ammo backing it, it has become invincible in the eyes of the hordes......try convince one that a 260 will do the same thing. :)

Hornady would have never went to the drawing board had Remington not the bed with the .260.

"Yes Lane, we will make your caliber, but no Lane we won't build the rifle
Like you and all of your friends ask for."
Because 1 person in Maine asked for a Moose/Deer/Black Bear Short rifle brush gun: in the same caliber."

I've shot four or five hogs with 300 BLK subs. Every one ran off without flinching, and I didn't see a trace of blood on the ground. It's like the Lonestar Boars guy on YouTube says: "300 BLKs subs are like stabbing a hog with a pencil." For people wanting to be neighborly shooting hogs, there is a huge need for something bigger.

The CEB subs should be tried I doubt a hog would go far

Have you tried 458 socom subs?

What bullet? If it's anything other than a projectile designed to expand/frag at subsonic velocity then I wouldn't expect anything other than little to no expansion and crappy results. Crappy as in an animal that will die eventually, and little to no blood trail.

What bullet? If it's anything other than a projectile designed to expand/frag at subsonic velocity then I wouldn't expect anything other than little to no expansion and crappy results. Crappy as in an animal that will die eventually, and little to no blood trail.

I understand the attraction of the subsonic's but my problem has always been that If you find a bullet that will expand at subsonic velocities, it doesn't want to penetrate the armor of tough skinned game like hogs
and you are forced to make head shots. (Something that is not always possible).

Some have had good luck with the subsonic's so they say, I have not.

Where I hunt, I may only get one shot and we like to make that shot count. we have a hog problem and try to drop as many hogs with one shot as possible. I am working on a 300 RUM load to see if I can boost the number I have taken with one shot from a 7 STW (5) My younger brother has taken 7 but he cheated when he took a pregnant
sow and he counted the piglets.o_O

I know sound or lack of it is fun, but even the subsonic's spook other hogs, so in a one shot scenario, More energy and penetration is needed in my opinion.

Not knocking subsonic's, just don't have a use for them where I hunt.

J E CUSTOM

I understand the attraction of the subsonic's but my problem has always been that If you find a bullet that will expand at subsonic velocities, it doesn't want to penetrate the armor of tough skinned game like hogs
and you are forced to make head shots. (Something that is not always possible).
Not the case with some of the modern bullets. Haven't had that problem with the Lehigh subsonic fracturing, they have petals that break off and a solid base that penetrates. Reminds me of a subsonic type of Hammer bullet. The ones I've used have fully penetrated full grown hogs out to 200 yards with behind the shoulder shots, all have dropped with excellent terminal performance.

The CEB subs should be tried I doubt a hog would go far
I thought about going this route -- and still may. But, I would need to get into reloading. Plus, Atomic Ammo just came out with a 260gr soft point, which is my current best hope for making 300 BLK a hog stopper. But, I just got some a few days ago and haven't had a chance to try it on hogs yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried 458 socom subs?
I was gravitating toward the 458 socom when I discovered the 8.6. The problem with 458 socom is it's a struggle getting it subsonic. I would probably need to get into reloading. Plus, there are slim pickings on the market for 458 bullets big enough to be practical for making subsonic-- without just lowering the powder change and waisting case capacity to make an average-size bullet subsonic. Doable. But, a heck of a lot of trouble. Plus, I would need a whole new gun, suppressor and to build a reloading setup from scratch. Right now, I use a 308 Desert Tech MDR. It's already has my night-vision laser mounted. I emailed Desert Tech asking if they can make a 8.6 barrel conversion. They seem interested and passed on my request to their R&D department. Plus, I think my 30-cal suppressor may have enough clearance for a 338. I may cautiously consider using the same suppressor.

I feel ya on the 458. I've come really close to building one for shooting the Lehigh 570 grain expanders and just never have committed.