7RUM velocity?

sambo3006

I just sold my 7mag and bought a 700 LSS in 7RUM 26" barrel(which I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of!). I plan on using this rifle as a don't have to aim above hair out to 400 yds deer gun for north MO farm country. Am I off base in thinking I could possibly get 3500 fps with the 140 gr AB and 3300 fps with the 160 gr AB at the top end? Would the faster 140 gr load hurt barrel life? Keep in mind that I have lots of rifles and would probably never reach 1000 rounds thru this one.
I have IMR 7828, RL22 and Retumbo on hand and access to H1000 to try out. I use Fed 215GM primers for all my magnums. What powder (including other than those listed) would you 7RUM shooters recommend? Thanks! Sam

I can get 3100 fps out of a 30 inch Shilen barrel using Berger's 180 grain VLD, 3400 with 168 gr SMK.

This case is about 15 grains less water capacity. I would think that your assumtion of 3400~3500 should be well within the capacity of the 7 mm RUM case.

Try H1000, Re-25, Retumbo, US869 to start.

Hodgdon's website posts
Retumbo 96.5 compressed load max load 3353 fps
H1000 95.0 max load 3277
US 869 104.7 max 3275
H4831 87.0 max 3279

All the manuals even though they list max loads it is still lawyer safe and can be adjusted most of the time a tad bit more if not a lot more.

My 7mm STW has a load of 74.5 grains for the 180 grain Berger's but I have seen loading data on certain websites where the top load using Sierra's 175 gr SMK was around 88 grains. Hodgdon's website says top load for the 7mm STW using 175 grain Nos Part is 74 grains of H1000.

Keep in mind that every gun will be different and working up your loads to what your rifle can shoot is key.

There are a lot of websites with loading data that people have submitted and you can find loads for your 7mm RUM at these sites.

The fellas on here will no doubt be posting lots of data. Do a search for 7mm RUM and see if you cant find anyting on it on this site.

Dave

max loads from my 28" lilja barreled 7 STW are right at 3550 with a 140 bt with max charges of H1000. sighted in 2.5" high at 100 its 19.2" low at 500 yds, just hold 10" over the back.
JS

i got around 3200 with 180 bergers/ 30" barrel. sighted in at 300 i was about 3.12 high at 100 yds.with a 26" barrel my guess would be retumbo for best velocity in the 140-160 range of bullets.

work up to "max load for your gun" with RL25, retumbo, or accurate arms 8700. I'll bet that you will reach your velocity goal with accuracy with one of these powders. Use mag primers (FED 215M) and an OAL that just fits your magazine. I shoot 150 partitions in my LSS 7 rum at a velocity just barely below 3500. I use RL25.

[ QUOTE ]
Daveosok is pretty much right on the money. It's very possible that you would accomplish the highest velocities using Reloader 25.
Check this link out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Eaglet - I'm very suspect about "Loads" like this from that forum. The same guy posts two of the fastest loads and gains 70 FPS going from 94 to 95 grains. I also have a friend who told me fantastic speeds out of his 7mm pre 64 Rem. Well I've owned and shot my 7STW with a 28 inch barrel for 12 years with lots of chrono time.

He was getting his speed numbers from old reloading books. He figured out if a bullet can go 3000 fps with 70 grains of powder and 3100 with 74 grains of the same powder if he puts 4 more grains it must be going 3200 and 8 grains over even though he's losening up the primers and leaking around the belt that it must be going 3300.

Without chrono time and some thought about powder burn rate tables it's hard to blanket tell what the best powder for a given gun/bullet

I also have never shot sub 7mm 160 gr out of my STW. If you do some time on the BC tables that 140 grain bullet even starting out 350 fps faster than heavy higher BC bullet. At 400 yards the 168 grain or 175 grain might be going faster with lots more energy.

Budlight for your information loads like that came from "THIS" site back in Oct of 02 way before the "OTHER" site was thought of. Now on to your chrony comment read the link it was an Oehler 35p. Get your facts straight and do some research before calling me out on my bogus info and suggestions.

I was getting 3400 plus with the Lost River 162 grain bullets. In another test I was able to get 3500 with Sierra's 168 SMK out of my 7 mm STW. It was a 34 inch barrel though and that will account for the speeds but since you can stuff a lot more slower burning powder into the rum cases you very well may obtain those velocities with 140 grain pills with proper load development.

Here is the link to THIS site and my load info.
Long Range Hunting

As you can see Re-25 netted me 3500 plus and H1000 netted me 3400 plus. Dropping down to a 140 grain bullet you should be able to obtain 3500 with a 7mm rum. I think the US 869 would be a good starting point and work it up form their.

I think its entirly possible to obatin the 3500 fps mark with the latest edition of Hodgdon's US869. We wont know until you give it a shot or someone else does.

Dave

Eaglet - I'm very suspect about "Loads" like this from that forum.

What did I actually say? I did not say impossible or B.S. I don't own a 7mm RUM with a 26 inch barrel to attemp to duplicate this exact load.

I'm from the "Show me State" I'm very careful when it comes to trusting unverified info especially like some internet sight.

Thanks for the good info guys. I'll try some of the powders suggested and post my results. I need to order my brass and hopefully will be able to get some shooting before it gets too hot. Thanks again! Sam

Budlight,
It's good to hear from you! Have you been around Carson City?

I'm my self very suspicious of other loads found on line but I enjoy reading what other folks think or believe that they're getting. I'm always using an average of 3 reputable manuals, at least 5% below max, will carefully many times surpass manual recommendations safely and always have my chronograph running.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.