7RUM 140gr. Load info......

7stw

Hello to all and happy new year. Recently picked up a CDL in 7 RUM. My intent is to get it to shoot 140 grain Bergers, or Accubonds. I have H1000' rl 22' and 7828. I get decent velocity with 88-89 gr. RL22 and the same with 7828ssc, but accuracy is only so so. I realize that this is not one of my heavy barreled beauties, but was wondering if anyone is getting good accuracy with " lighter" barreled rifles such as theCDL. So far I can get 3380-3406 with rl22. I WANT to stay with 140 bullets, but will go heavier to get a little more accuracy. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance and as always,AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLgun)

I have a CDL in the 257WBY, and it is definitely not a target rifle. I also have a Sendero in the 7 RUM, and it is a pretty good shooter.

I know you want data for a 140gr bullet, I just don't shoot those. I do have a great load for mine though that you might want to try someday.

168gr Berger VLD
101gr. US869
Fed 215
COL 3.650

Some don't like the US869, but it kicks *** in my 7 RUM.

I actually do have some 168Bergers that I shoot in a super accurate 7mm mag , 700p that I picked up last spring. ( boy do those things shoot). Because of the weight of the gun, my first thought was to shoot the 140 s, so far, my new Sako 7stw is shooting the 140's pretty well, so maybe I will shoot the heavier bullets in the UM. I am just considering the recoil. The CDL is definitley not sendero, and to that I am spoiled. I may concede to the heavy weights as i realize the BC advantage and the down range, but I guess I am looking for options and second opinions. One thing for sure is that a muzzle brake is NOT a option. Thanks for the feed back. Any thoughts anyone? AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL! 7STW...gun):)

I am shooting the 140 gr Barnes TTSX out of a CDL RUM and getting 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Those are only 3 shot groups though because the barrel heats up way too much after that. I was using RL22 but I don't remeber how much as I am at work. When I get home, I will take a look. Shot an Oryx with this load at 338 yds last year and dropped it in its tracks. Not the bullets you were looking for but maybe you could try it. With no brake on your gun, the heavier bullets are going to pack quite a wallop.

I actually have some of the non tipped TSX's. I initially shot some of these when I first got it, and boy do those things foul a new barrel quick. The barrel is getting smoother now is is getting easier to clean, so maybeI will revisit these. I have not shot the tres in any of mine, but my son's . 270 shoots them well. Thanks for the reply.let me know if you get a chance on the charge. I am thinking it should be around 88 or 89 gr. I got 3402, 3396,3399, with 89.0 rl 22. Low SD and ES. That load was using Hornady 139 Interbond. Thanks in advance. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL:)gun) 7STW.

I tried some 140gr. VLD hunting in my 7mm-.300 WBY the other day with between 84.5gr. and 86.5gr. of 7828 and they would barely stay within an 8 inch circle at 300 yds. With 86grs. of the same powder with 140gr. Nosler ballistic tips at 3560fps shoot less than inch at 300yds. I was thinking maybe I was pushing the Bergers too fast? You guys pushing them that fast.
I have a 28 inch Hart barrel on my Rem 700.
Tarey

Yup, the load is:

140gr Barnes TTSX
88gr of RL22
COAL 3.575

GENERGY, I would be pushing the 180 gr Berger with that kind of gun if I had a brake on it. I would even try the 180 gr Berger in the 7 RUM. The BC on that bullet is just amazing for the 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.