7mm08 to 7mm WSM

ShadS

Hi guys,

I have a 7mm08 tikka t3 which i'm considering changing to a 7mm WSM. What would be the process of changing it? I know i would need a new barrel, any recommendations on who produces the most accurate ones? I've seen and heard good things from Bartlein barrels. Also would the action be able to handle the pressure of the WSM? If you guys could explain what i need and what i need to change to convert it to a 7mm WSM that would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

So when you say a new bolt, does that mean a new action as well or just modify the old bolt or do i need a new bolt all together?

I am not that familiar with the tikka t3 but if I were going to consider going to the larger diameter WSM case I would see if it will pass the feed rails. Some rifles require making that gap wider.

Also can you find any 7mm WSM brass? I just looked and only Winchester makes it and the brief search turned up nothing. Sure you can neck up 270 WSM or neck down 300 WSM brass made by Nosler or Norma but that adds more work.

An alternative chambering which would fit past your feed rails is the 7 SAUM. It has very similar performance to the 7 WSM. AND you can find brass. Bullets.com

You could have your current barrel rechambered for either cartridge. The WSM should clean up the 7-08 chamber without any barrel setback. I am certain the 7 SAUM would require some setback to totally clean up the chamber.

Here is a good article comparing the 7 WSM and the 7 SAUM.

7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

Edit: forgot to mention you will have to open up the bolt face!

Last edited:
Conversions like you're considering are time consuming, thus, expensive. You can use the same barrel, just have it re-chambered. You'll end up with a factory barrel that has been re-chambered that will be no more accurate than it was before. The bolt face now is for standard calibers and will need to be 'opened-up' to magnum dimentions, or the bolt replaced with a 'magnum' bolt. Extractor work or replacement is required if you keep the original bolt. Magazine box will need to be replaced as well as the follower. Be prepared for feed 'issues'. There can be lots of hand work needed here, so that the cartridges feed reliably. Most everyone seems to think 'smiths mill the feed rails for these alterations. Maybe some do, but most use a file, as many times "one stroke" of a file, in the right place will make all the difference in the world. My advise for what it's worth,,,,, If you want a 7mm WSM go buy one!

The 7mm SAUM definitely looks better than the 7mm WSM thanks for that!! But what do you guys think about its life? Are they going extinct? I mean the brass is quite expensive and I've heard a lot of people saying they are only going down hill from here.

Conversions like you're considering are time consuming, thus, expensive. You can use the same barrel, just have it re-chambered. You'll end up with a factory barrel that has been re-chambered that will be no more accurate than it was before. The bolt face now is for standard calibers and will need to be 'opened-up' to magnum dimentions, or the bolt replaced with a 'magnum' bolt. Extractor work or replacement is required if you keep the original bolt. Magazine box will need to be replaced as well as the follower. Be prepared for feed 'issues'. There can be lots of hand work needed here, so that the cartridges feed reliably. Most everyone seems to think 'smiths mill the feed rails for these alterations. Maybe some do, but most use a file, as many times "one stroke" of a file, in the right place will make all the difference in the world. My advise for what it's worth,,,,, If you want a 7mm WSM go buy one!

x2.. I see zero reason to rechamber a factory barrel, unless it was a factory kreiger. Not to mention all the action work on a relatively inexpensive action.

The 7mm SAUM definitely looks better than the 7mm WSM thanks for that!! But what do you guys think about its life? Are they going extinct? I mean the brass is quite expensive and I've heard a lot of people saying they are only going down hill from here.

Aren't all the tikka actions the same length but the short actions have a bolt stop?? If this is the case you shouldn't be limited to the short mags. Personally I would build per your bolt face, a 6.5CM on a tikka action would be a wicked little booger. Or if you want more horsepower, which it sounds like you do, I'd go w/ a 6.5x284.. maybe even a 6.8x284.

I'm not sure about the tikka actions? If that is the case and I could get a long action I certainly would!?

I'm not sure about the tikka actions? If that is the case and I could get a long action I certainly would!?

Yeah, google it. I can't open any of the discussions due to work blocking "weapons" but I can freely get on here and ar15.com lol.. go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.