7mm08 loads for hunting& accuracy

This seems to be one of the most popular calibers to be asked about. You can probably find several threads in this reloading forum. I happen to be coming up the home stretch with my own 7mm-08 and can tell you that IMR4350 (my favorite) and H4350 which is less temp sensitive but very similar in burn rate, Varget, IMR4064, and 4895 are also ones to try. RL15 and RL17 are popular also.

I use 45gr of IMR4350 with norma brass and cci br-2 primers behind 140 gr accubonds. My barrel seems to like the bullets seated about .009 off lands. I may end up a couple tenth gr above or below 45gr's and maybe a little closer than .009 off lands when I finish tomorrow. Final hone in on sweetspot that the barrel likes. It is an accurate cartridge and well suited to our northern whitetails. I've hunted with this cartridge for 20 years but this gun and barrel is newer, and I'm still dialing it in.

Paritions and ballistic tips work well on deer also.

Good Shooting Dave

My 7mm-08 TC Compass shoots 1/4" groups with Winchester 140g Silver Tips. I bought some 140g S. T. bullets...I will try to mimic the Winchester load, but in the meantime, I'm happy with this factory round.

My cousin gave me some 110g Speer TNT rounds, loaded with IMR4064 (not at home to see the charge weight)...these shoot as good (sometimes better) than the Winchester S. T.

47 to 47.5 grains Ramshot Big Game with a 140 Accubond (start low, work up) gets me 2,890 fps in a 22.5" barrel.
50 or so grains of Big Game under a 120 Ballistic Tip gets over 3,000 and kills deer dead.

My wife and I both hunt with the 7mm-08, we have identical Rem 700 SPS Buckmasters with 24" barrels.

Both shoot sub half MOA with the 139gr SST and with the 120gr Balliatic Tip.

- 41.0gr of IMR-4064 with the 139gr SST, WLR primers.

-41.5gr of IMR-4064with the 120gr BT, GM210M primer, here a picture of this load from my wife's rifle
20200216_195406.jpg

Currently working up a load for the 154gr SST, I'm at a 0.8" group so needs more work. I'll be trying IMR-4166 from the enduron line amd will see how that goes. Also will be developing loads for 160gr and 162gr bullets for both rifles.

My Silhouette competition 7mm-08 likes 44.5gr of IMR-4350 with the Sierra 150gr HPBT Matchking.

Hope this helps.

26" Bartlien 9 twist 40.6 gr Varget CCI 250 Lapua brass .020 jump 162 ELDM = 2700 fps ES 3

My go to deer and antelope load is a max load of Varget under the 120 gr NBT. 3120 fps. Accurate and deadly past 500 yds. It is a stiff load, so start lower and work up.

I own a Kimber Montana in 7-08. I settled on the 150gr ELD-X and IMR4166 powder. A Federal primer and 41.1grs of 4166 gives me 2740fps. It's extremely temperature stable and accurate. Also, the powder is easy to source, a real plus.

It gave complete pass through and one shot kill on my elk this past October. It works well for me.

Bob

Bob;

Good job on your elk. Can you give some details on the shot, how far, how the animal reacted, and what the bullet did to the animal?

The hard part in South Dakota is drawing the tag. Also, if you're hunting by yourself, getting it back to your truck is tough!

The shot was only 211 yards. There was a group of 30+ elk, I picked the largest one and made my shot from standing, off of sticks. I lost sight of the elk at the shot but heard a good hit. I didn't take a second shot for fear of hitting a second elk. That's bad ju-ju! After all the elk bolted I went to the spot where I thought they were standing. I was heartbroken not to see the elk right away. Within a few minutes I found her about 15 yards away. She fell at the shot, no steps taken. Impact was between two ribs, exit was through a rib. About ping pong ball size exit wound.

I used the gutless method and had to bag and haul her to my truck by myself. I did not open the chest so can't comment on the lungs, etc. BTW - You can grab the inside tenderloins from the back after removing the backstraps. So I have extensive field experience, with a sample size of one. "It worked for me!"

Bob

She dropped at the shot, but I couldn't find her for a few minutes.
613292D7-8576-430A-AD1D-2935EBDA6EA0.jpeg

Ready to haul out.
B1B45A1D-6243-42D9-ADDA-A577C62FD382.jpeg

1/3 of a backstrap weighed 3.7 lbs.
7A0072B7-0043-4597-AF15-AF5780D592D4.jpeg

The reward!
C76D681E-1C87-4388-AB41-27F7A102CC36.jpeg

Bob;

Thanks for the reply. I too have had to do the gutless method as I was by myself once. I was in a spot I couldn't take her out whole so, you gotta do what you gotta do. Congrats on the elk and your meal looks amazing.

The hard part in South Dakota is drawing the tag. Also, if you're hunting by yourself, getting it back to your truck is tough!

The shot was only 211 yards. There was a group of 30+ elk, I picked the largest one and made my shot from standing, off of sticks. I lost sight of the elk at the shot but heard a good hit. I didn't take a second shot for fear of hitting a second elk. That's bad ju-ju! After all the elk bolted I went to the spot where I thought they were standing. I was heartbroken not to see the elk right away. Within a few minutes I found her about 15 yards away. She fell at the shot, no steps taken. Impact was between two ribs, exit was through a rib. About ping pong ball size exit wound.

I used the gutless method and had to bag and haul her to my truck by myself. I did not open the chest so can't comment on the lungs, etc. BTW - You can grab the inside tenderloins from the back after removing the backstraps. So I have extensive field experience, with a sample size of one. "It worked for me!"

Bob

She dropped at the shot, but I couldn't find her for a few minutes.
View attachment 180506

Ready to haul out.
View attachment 180509

1/3 of a backstrap weighed 3.7 lbs.
View attachment 180510

The reward!
View attachment 180515

That sure looks good, nice job Sir. I hadn't seen anyone wrap the asparagus with bacon in quite a while, they come out great.