7mm wsm

baydog

I know this will be a simple question to most of you guys but here it is... Is there a manufacturer that still makes a new rifle available in a 7mm wsm???... Thanks for your time and any help
Scotty

Montana rifle company, plus their short action will handle a 3.1" cartridge length. They're not cheap, but a high quality rifle.

Montana rifle company, plus their short action will handle a 3.1" cartridge length. They're not cheap, but a high quality rifle.
Thanks highdrum. I seen them and yep they are kinda pricey but look like a great little short cartridge *** burning white tail gun.. I guess it's how bad I want one and how much I'm willing to pay. I've never really heard of Montana Rifle company until I started searching for a 7mm wsm. I see that Beretta and Savage is still making a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm but I'm really a 7mm mag fan. I own three 7mm mags my favorite is my 7mm Remington Sendero. But I was hoping to get my son an 7mm wsm to step up from his 243 Remington model 7. He is a little fellow and was hoping the 7mm wsm could be his next step up. But can buy a savage or beretta for half the money.. But I'm old enough to know buy what ya want the first time so I don't have to buy it twice.

If he can handle a 7wsm, he can handle the 7 rem mag, many more options there. Way more over the counter ammo options as well.

I'd look at the 7/300wsm you will at least be able to source brass. That 7wsm is going to get harder and harder to source brass.
Melvin Forbes will chamber both the straight 7wsm and 7/300 if you supply a reamer in his nula rifles.

Yes it is, same exact case capacity. The rem actually has a slower recoil pulse, vs the swifter punch of the wsm.
That's a by product of the faster burning powders in the wsm. Run the same powder in both and you will get the same same result.
I shot sporting clays extensively. When I started 17 grn of red dot with a AA wad and oz of 8 shot was the most common load. Take that same load and substitute 21 grns of green dot in a 30" tube you would feel half the recoil without a change in performance. All because the slower burning powder built pressure at a much slower rate. If you apply the same principals to a rifle cartridge and the results will be similar at the same speeds. The advantage is you may be able to build more speed and still not be over pressure if you can keep the pressure curve building in a longer tube.

That's a by product of the faster burning powders in the wsm. Run the same powder in both and you will get the same same result.
I shot sporting clays extensively. When I started 17 grn of red dot with a AA wad and oz of 8 shot was the most common load. Take that same load and substitute 21 grns of green dot in a 30" tube you would feel half the recoil without a change in performance. All because the slower burning powder built pressure at a much slower rate. If you apply the same principals to a rifle cartridge and the results will be similar at the same speeds. The advantage is you may be able to build more speed and still not be over pressure if you can keep the pressure curve building in a longer tube.
I somewhat agree, I load 300 win and wsm with same powder, H1000. The win mag has a slower recoil feel as in a push, whereas the wsm has a punch. Pressure pusle is quicker from the shorter fatter powder column, velocities are similar even with the wsm burning 4gr less powder. 7mm rem saum is also a great design when built on an action that allows you to seat the bullet properly in the neck to prevent crowding powder, slightly slower than the wsm and rem mag, but it shoots with a bit less recoil as well.

I've owned a few custom rifles in 7WSM and recently had one rebarreled. The cartridge is capable of exceptional accuracy and produces impressive ballistics in a short action format. The 7WSM has a moderate level of recoil and doesn't need a brake; a big plus for a hunting rifle.
The only issue with the 7WSM is brass availability. I bought several hundred rounds of Win from "sellers" at a ridiculously high cost but at least I have it. With normal case prep, the Win brass is pretty good. There are a scarce few sources of 7WSM brass and they are likely to dry up with the lack of production rifles in that chambering.
I really like the 7WSM and probably will always have one but if I was building/buying another rifle I'd make quality brass availability a consideration before making a final decision. A 7-300WSM would be perfect if you don't mind having a custom chambered rifle. Or...…. just go 7SAUM.

Last edited:
I have found that recoil is different in my LA vs SA rounds when comparing the same powder and bullet. I.e. 6.5 SS vs 6.5 sherman

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.