7mm stw

Sleepy Time

Just getting started with this new STW and have some questions. In order to get the cartridge to fit in the mag I can't seat it on the lands. I assume this is a problem with the STW? Is it really a problem? And can anyone push me in a direction with some load data? Wanting to shoot 162 a max.

Thanks

Who says you have to put the bullet into the lands? Just seat to max OAL that fits and feeds from magazine and give it a try. While there is a trend that many rifles will shoot the Berger VLDs touching or into the rifling it doesn't mean that you have to do it. Look at the weatherby chambers and accuracy where some bullets are jumping up to .375"!

Once you find your most accurate load with that OAL you can always try deeper seating in small increments to see if you can tighten the groups size.

Another thing you can do before you begin loading is see if you can lengthen the magazine box. Wyatt's sells boxes for some models. My gunsmith has lengthened all my Tang safety Ruger M77s.

Just getting started with this new STW and have some questions. In order to get the cartridge to fit in the mag I can't seat it on the lands. I assume this is a problem with the STW? Is it really a problem? And can anyone push me in a direction with some load data? Wanting to shoot 162 a max.

Thanks

For the most part, in my own experience with this caliber, you do not have to seat into the throat for it to shoot well. The 162 A Max is a great bullet, and is long enough that it will engage the riflings before it leaves the case neck. Another thing is that your gun MAY be free bored ahead of the case which would make it impossible to engage and fit in the box. I have 2 rifles in this caliber and am working on a third. Neither on is in the riflings and they shoot just fine. Typical COAL is between 3.650-3.700 . My Sako OAL runs at 3.700. The remy runs about 3.650 -3.675. That bullet WILL shoot without being in the riflings. Hope this helps. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, 7 STWlightbulb

P/S, try H1000, or Retumbo I am shooting n170 and 168 Bergers in my Sako, and it loves it. 215 federal primers, and box length and you are on your way. enjoy!

I am in the middle of load development for a stw I just had built. Its a savage 110 with a 30" shilen match select barrel. The 162 amax is what I am working with as well. H-1000 has shot well. Mine is a new lot and I hit pressure at 78 grains. I am loading a ladder with retumbo to shoot today. I will report back later. I have a short mag box so I am running it as a single shot starting 10 thousandths off at 3.85.

I shot a ladder with retumbo this afternoon. Nosler brass, fed 215, 162 amax loaded .020" off.
I started at 77.6 and went up to 80 in increments of .3 grains. I had a node between 77.9 and 78.5 with the 3 going into a .5". I hit a node at the upper with 79.7 and and 80. Those two were touching. Hogdon lists 80.2 grains as max with a 160gr bullet and my primers were just starting to flatten at 80. Since we had some wind today I shot these at 200 yds.
When I shot my H-1000 ladder I went from 75.7 up to 78 in .3 gr increments as well. It showed less overall vertical but I didn't get any real defined clusters. I had two rounds that grouped about .5 inch between 76.9 and 77.2 gr. I wanted to post some velocities for you but my chrono was being tempermental today.
If you want to try these powders this info is just a starting point for you. stw chambers vary and so do the pressures. Start low as my top end numbers were nearing maximum.
my chamber is min spec match with a .318 neck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.