7mm STW, Ramshot LRT, 180gr VLD Berger

Rabbitslayer78

Is anyone shooting this combination? Or anything close. No Retumbo so looking for a direction. My Rifle loves 180 Bergers.

I tried LRT with 185 Noslers and 195 Bergers in my 28 Nosler, I couldn't get enough in using a long drop tube and vibrating cases to get pressure. I don't have my notebook with me but I remember the 185's topping out a bit over 3100 and the 195's right around 3100. These loads were over 100% density. I stuffed the case until it was pushing bullets back out. The loads shot well enough but I didn't do any further load work with them, I want to be fairly close to seeing pressure signs with a magnum like .5-.9 grains under where I see a little ejector wipe on a hot day. The LRT loads had primers looking factory fresh on the edges and bolt lift like it was an empty chamber. No brass movement at all. US869 was equally useless to me, similar speeds. I shot all these 10 thousandths off the lands, I thought about jamming the bullets to see if I could get it to pressure up but I am not going to hunt that way so why bother.

RL33 and RL26 both go substantially faster and shoot good to great for me, H1000 will get close, and it's H1000. Retumbo will go faster, shoots great too. All of these powders will pressure up easily too. I know it's no help to list powders that you can't get but keep your eyes out, I have bought all 4 of these powders in the last few months and in 8# jugs so it's out there.

I tried LRT with 185 Noslers and 195 Bergers in my 28 Nosler, I couldn't get enough in using a long drop tube and vibrating cases to get pressure. I don't have my notebook with me but I remember the 185's topping out a bit over 3100 and the 195's right around 3100. These loads were over 100% density. I stuffed the case until it was pushing bullets back out. The loads shot well enough but I didn't do any further load work with them, I want to be fairly close to seeing pressure signs with a magnum like .5-.9 grains under where I see a little ejector wipe on a hot day. The LRT loads had primers looking factory fresh on the edges and bolt lift like it was an empty chamber. No brass movement at all. US869 was equally useless to me, similar speeds. I shot all these 10 thousandths off the lands, I thought about jamming the bullets to see if I could get it to pressure up but I am not going to hunt that way so why bother.

RL33 and RL26 both go substantially faster and shoot good to great for me, H1000 will get close, and it's H1000. Retumbo will go faster, shoots great too. All of these powders will pressure up easily too. I know it's no help to list powders that you can't get but keep your eyes out, I have bought all 4 of these powders in the last few months and in 8# jugs so it's out there.
Thanks for the info HSmithTX. All the data I've come across indicates the same. All just have to keep my eyes open and fingers crossed that some Retumbo will surface. Also I'm looking into IMR 8133 or Ramshot Magnum, IMR 7828 ssc. So any help there would be useful if anyone has experience with any of these powders.

lrt is about the same burn rate as some of the mil spec 50 cal offerings from that I see...

I ordered a keg of 872 from here (Bartlett's) when I ordered a couple kegs of I 7383 earlier this year...
Mil-surp isn't for a novice by any means, but the 7stw and a few of the other overbores do thrive on the 50 cal. offerings

I could run up the pressures on my 7stw with 175's and wc872 if you want some but are unsure if you want to go there... I'm actually interested anyway as my 140 ab's are getting really spendy and I have close to 1,000 175's on the shelf in a couple different flavors.

Last edited: