7mm rem mag and 180gr vld?

stric9

I have a wheatherby in 7mmRem.mag with a 1:9 1/2 twist. I want to shot the 180gr vld but berger recommends a 1:9 or faster twist.My rifle just shot a 1/2 moa at 100 this morning.
So my question is does any one know if this bullet will have trouble stabilizing at 300 to 500 yrds?

Thanks in advance for any and all feed back or recomendations.

I am a long way from an expert, but I would think that a stabilized bullet is a stabilized bullet.....it won't "un" stabelize down range. I know that the old "it shoots at 300, but not at 100 because it hasn't stabilized yet"" thing has been hashed out pretty good over on the 600/1000 benchrest fourm at BRCentral. What you are asking is opposite of this, but I would think that the Phisics is the same.

Just my uninformed, uneducated opinion, of course.

Shoot some and see. My old hunting partner shoots a pile of the 175 grain Speer Grand slams in his 7mm Rem mag with no problems. I've found that the only way your really going to tell what works in your specific rifle is to shoot them and see.

If your rifle just shot a group that small and the bullets didn't key hole, then I would say you are good to go.
Load some more up and extend the range if you have any doubts.

Last edited:
There is a guy named Brian Litz who is a competition shooter and a ballistitian who goes into great detail about the 180gr berger VLD bullet. Here is a link to one of his articles http://bryanlitz.bravehost.com/articles/7mmNumberOne.pdf.
According to him 'optimal' twist rate can vary depending on conditions, the worst or coldest (0 degrees-0% humidity) being 1-8.7" twist, and the best (100 degrees-100% humidity) being 1-10.5" twist. A buddy of mine shoots a 7wsm 9 twist 3 groove and it does exceptionally well at 1100yds i don't think a half twist would matter too much. Interestinglly enough Brian Litz uses a 1-8.7" twist barrel in his test.

I shoot the 180 VLD in my Rem 700 7mag. No problems out to 400. That's my longest shot on the range I have.

CC

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.