7mm STW chamber for 168vld berger

blockb

I am having a 7mmSTW built and I want to shoot 168gr VLDs. I want the rounds to fit in the magazine. Will a standard reamer alow this or do I have to have the smith do something different.

The standard reamers that I have seen the prints on will have quite a bit of freebore. I just send PTG a mag length loaded round and had a reamer made off of it. You can shoot the Berger with the freebore though. You just won't be able to hit the lands and use it as a repeater. The other option is to have a Wyatts mag installed. This will get you closer to the lands. Mine factory Sendero shot great and it had about 3/16"-1/4" of freebore. We will see what this new reamer does very soon. Should have the new barrel this week.

I think it was around $150.....Hopefully the barrel will come in this week. Should have it up and running shortly after. I will post results.

Please keep us posted...

I shoot a 7mm RM in a Sendero with 71.5 grains of Retumbo and the 168 Berger VLD. It is shooting at 3040 fps with a 21 fps spread on a 5 shot string.

I had the barrel recrowned and it now groups .6 moa at 100 yards.

Besides the barrel work and Jewell HVR set at 2.5 lbs, it is stock..

Any more suggested upgrades ?

thanks

YOTES2CALL

Looks like it is dialed in. My dad would really like to have that. He could only get about 2900 before he had pressure signs. With my factory sendero in 7mmSTW, the 168 bergers were running 3182fps. I am using about 10 more grains of powder than you are (h1000). I am pretty much gutting this rifle and just keeping the action. Using a A-5L stock and a 28" fluted Broughton (sendero contour). My groups were starting to open up and I had close to 1800 rounds through this barrel. In its prime, 1/2" groups at 100.....3-4" groups at 500yds. Hopefully it will do a little better with the action trued and a new barrel. I also seem to shoot better with the vertical grip stocks. We will see.

This may or may not be the place for this but speeking of freebore. I've been told that you have to have it in these magnums to achieve optimum velocity due to a chamber with no freebore causing too much initial pressure and lower pressure as the bullet leaves the barrel. Where's the happy place??

every gun i own including my 22-243 ackleys, 7 wsm, and 30-338 luapa imp shoot with the bullets jammed in the lands. I don't have much luck jumping bullets. I was always under the impression that most longer vld, a-max, matchking bullets usually don't like to jump. Just my 2 cents.

I just built one this spring and I shoot the 180 Berger. I put a wyatts mag box in mine and I suggest you do the same. You will never touch the lands with a STW even if you shoot it single shot. Dave Kiff from Tool and Gauge said you need .180 freebore at a min with an STW or you will only get pressure spikes real fast and not get the speed you are suppose to. Mine has about .200 with the 180gr and it shoots very well. I have a 28inch Brought 9twist 5c and use 79gr of H-1000 and am pushing the 180 around 3120fps with no pressure at all. Infact I can get 5 to 6 shots out of a case easy. I am using Winchester brass do not use Remington brass it is junk.
3shots at 100
445759.JPG

Here are two groups at 300 off the bipod. First group is 4 shots and the one that is higher then the rest is the first shot through a clean oiled bore. The next group is 3 shots and I moved the scope up a little. This rifle off the bipod at 875 yards will shoot about 7" but I cannot find my pic of some of the targets.
445760.JPG

So do not worry about the freebore I have had 5 STW's and they all have shot great.

Yes it is a LSR and Chris really knows how to build a rifle to shoot. I have to say the 180 Berger is to the 7mm's as the 300SMK is to the 338's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.