7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Need Help with like new Win 70 Lorado 7stw BOSS, Do any of you fine folks have the sweet spot setting for this gun and cal. ? I own or have owned 5 BOSS mod 70's but have no sweet spots for the STW, very best and thanks in advance for any help... win poor

winchesterpoor

Have you tried to shoot your Laredo without the BOSS attached? I am wondering if this would give you a starting point, then work to that. I would start at the most open setting, so that the BOSS had the least affect on the gun, then work to the tightest possible before you see the groups open up.

I have a Laredo without the BOSS, and the gun shoots a 1/2" group with factory ammo that is 10 years old.

winchesterpoor

Have you tried to shoot your Laredo without the BOSS attached? I am wondering if this would give you a starting point, then work to that. I would start at the most open setting, so that the BOSS had the least affect on the gun, then work to the tightest possible before you see the groups open up.

I have a Laredo without the BOSS, and the gun shoots a 1/2" group with factory ammo that is 10 years old.
Way, waaay back I bought a brand new model 70 7mm STW with a boss. It made me nuts trying to figure out how to tune the boss. Talked to a good friend/gunsmith who told me find a load it shoots well without the boss, then put the boss back on and dial it in one turn at a time till the groups tightened up. Once there turn it 1/4 turn at a time until hitting the sweet spot.

My solution was to put a good brake on it instead of the boss and it shot the hell out of Winchester factory 140gr ballistic silvertips in the Winchester supreme line. Once I had a couple of hundred rounds of that great Winchester brass I started handloading the 139gr Hornady Interbonds for it with H870 and it shot lights out for me for over a decade at which time it left with my Ex who was in love with shooting it.

Way, waaay back I bought a brand new model 70 7mm STW with a boss. It made me nuts trying to figure out how to tune the boss. Talked to a good friend/gunsmith who told me find a load it shoots well without the boss, then put the boss back on and dial it in one turn at a time till the groups tightened up. Once there turn it 1/4 turn at a time until hitting the sweet spot.

My solution was to put a good brake on it instead of the boss and it shot the hell out of Winchester factory 140gr ballistic silvertips in the Winchester supreme line. Once I had a couple of hundred rounds of that great Winchester brass I started handloading the 139gr Hornady Interbonds for it with H870 and it shot lights out for me for over a decade at which time it left with my Ex who was in love with shooting it.

Gimmie her number!!!!! I'll see if she wants to sell it!!!:D

Hey guy's,
I've been following this thread for awhile to see what everyone is doing with the STW's, as far as loads go. I have a McWhorter STW, with a load developed by McWhorter. This load shoots very well, I've been shooting out to 1000. Will probably push it on out farther next time.
Anyway, I'm noticing that I'm running hotter than any I've seen here yet. I'm running 180 gr. VLD's at 3200 fps, 81 gr N570, 215's.
No pressure signs, and case life so far seems good. I'm on my 5th firing in Nosler brass, and they appear to be still in about as good a condition as new. No sign that these cases need discarding. Have not annealed.
What can I expect as far as barrel life with this load? I don't get to shoot often, as I've got about a 3 hr. one way drive just to shoot. I'm considering backing this load down a bit to extend barrel life, but with my hand load experience I'll probably have it shot out by the time I get to another load that I'm happy with.
What do you guy's think?

Hey guy's,
I've been following this thread for awhile to see what everyone is doing with the STW's, as far as loads go. I have a McWhorter STW, with a load developed by McWhorter. This load shoots very well, I've been shooting out to 1000. Will probably push it on out farther next time.
Anyway, I'm noticing that I'm running hotter than any I've seen here yet. I'm running 180 gr. VLD's at 3200 fps, 81 gr N570, 215's.
No pressure signs, and case life so far seems good. I'm on my 5th firing in Nosler brass, and they appear to be still in about as good a condition as new. No sign that these cases need discarding. Have not annealed.
What can I expect as far as barrel life with this load? I don't get to shoot often, as I've got about a 3 hr. one way drive just to shoot. I'm considering backing this load down a bit to extend barrel life, but with my hand load experience I'll probably have it shot out by the time I get to another load that I'm happy with.
What do you guy's think?
Running a load that hot especially if you shoot it hot (barrel hot) your going to be lucky to get 500rds through it before the throat goes.

I'd try backing off a full grain and see what that does for your accuracy.

Running a load that hot especially if you shoot it hot (barrel hot) your going to be lucky to get 500rds through it before the throat goes.

I'd try backing off a full grain and see what that does for your accuracy.

I may give that a try. I did end up contacting McWhorter and asking about that. They said their reamer is right to shoot this load, and safe, and shouldn't reduce throat life. I dont ever shoot it hot. 3 shot groups, and plenty of cooling time between rounds. Clean after every 10 - 15 rounds. He say's there is no reason shooting it like that to not get 1000 + out of it.

I certainly think it may be a good idea to at least see what backing off will do. I think I will take that advice, and see what the accuracy, and velocity is. I'll let you know the results. I would certainly give a little velocity for accuracy, and barrel life. Accuracy with this load is not an issue. It holds 1/2 MOA, and on a good day, I'll get 1/4, and less. It's a shooter thats for sure.

Thanks WildRose

Any of you 7STW shooters have any luck with Fed 160 gr accubond ammo, I was able to buy the only three boxes in Tallahassee FL , 1box of Rem 140 core locs and 2 fed 160 accubonds, Im using the 140's to get scope dialed in( 6.5 x 20 side focus 30mm Leupold with varmint reticule), That gives me some brass to work with. I talked with the retired chief engineer on the BOSS program and he tod me how to tune it with out the starting point chart. I have had great luck with accubonds on our whitetails, .25 thru 30 cal, I find them almost as accurate as BT's. My only local shooting buddy that shoots a 7STW settled on 140 gr handloaded ammo. very best

Any of you 7STW shooters have any luck with Fed 160 gr accubond ammo, I was able to buy the only three boxes in Tallahassee FL , 1box of Rem 140 core locs and 2 fed 160 accubonds, Im using the 140's to get scope dialed in( 6.5 x 20 side focus 30mm Leupold with varmint reticule), That gives me some brass to work with. I talked with the retired chief engineer on the BOSS program and he tod me how to tune it with out the starting point chart. I have had great luck with accubonds on our whitetails, .25 thru 30 cal, I find them almost as accurate as BT's. My only local shooting buddy that shoots a 7STW settled on 140 gr handloaded ammo. very best
I've not shot the federal but have shot a good deal of the Nosler Custom with the 160's and it shot very well in all both of my STW's. This season I filled all 4 of my remaining deer tags shooting them and did it all in less than 30 seconds with the closest shot being at about 570yds.

We are very lucky here in SW GA as we have a very long Whitetail season and can harvest 12 ! Ive only taken 3 this season as Im taking care of my wife of 34 years, dam cancer! The worse **** on earth! Drs promise the moon and kill you twice as fast as the cancer with chemo rat poison! very best

Recent Posts