7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Gday Fellas, I know you all are very aware of this bu bullets in the 160gn and up especially the vlds which really do need a 1-9 twist minimum(there will be arguments) need to be tested at at least 200 yards. That is where they get to start doing their best. Those with a couple of stringer shots need to try this before going to radical on mechanical change.Hope that helps a few brothers.lightbulb

After some thought, I think I'm going to load up those 3 loads again and give them a chance at 300yds. All three are worthy of a second look. I'll have to try for a really calm day.

7stw,

I really like this rifle. It is a sweet shooter. I did have to remove a bit of the bedding block and some stock material to get the oversized lug to fit. I also rebedded the lug area and the fit is good and tight. The brake isn't as quiet as I'd like, but it tames the recoil alot. It's like shooting a .22-250. I can actually see the bullets impact.

Like I said before, I was supprised to see how well retumbo really did with the 180s. They are really flat shooting. Should be able to get it tweaked pretty easily. Won't take much. Then we'll try stretching it's legs way out there.

later,

Dan

Dano, I don't blame you. All of those loads showed promise, and especially that 78- Retumbo load. And yeah, I bet those 180's do shoot flat. I have not shot them, but may give them a try with the new gun. I did however shoot some 190 VLD's in the 300 ultra. From 100 to 200, they did not drop, but the recoil really let me know that I was alive. WOW.
As far as the brake goes, it seems that the more effective they are, the more louder they are. I am considering putting one on my 300 ultra. I have just dealt with the recoil up til' now, but I'm getting a little tired of the recoil, and it really does shoot well.
I would be willing to bet that the group you shoot at 300, with the 78- Retumbo, will shoot as good as it did at 100. Take care and let me know how you make out.

I'm in the market for another scope, I'd like to hear about that Vortex you just bought. Do you have some strong rings for the stw. She's a powerhouse!

How accurate is the SST bullet, what is he shooting it at target or game? Does it perform well on game, what distances?

Thanks

I was able to shoot it last year in Colorado. 525 yards across an open field and right on the money for a nice one shot kill on a 3x3. Bullet hits similar to a ballistic tip, but not quite as violent, of course the distance could have a lot to do with that.

Sounds like the SST is good at that distance range, does in work on shorter ranges? Did you recover the bullet? What did it look like and do at that range? Where did it enter-exit?

Thanks

I'm in the market for another scope, I'd like to hear about that Vortex you just bought. Do you have some strong rings for the stw. She's a powerhouse!

Well I absolutely love the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle. It has great glass, nice tactical turrets (it tracks perfectly) and the EBR-1 MOA Reticle in the FFP is not too big or too small. I really like the illumination too.

The set-up I use on my Remington 700 Sendero is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and Burris 30 mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it almost up to a mile if I want.

Are you guys crimping when seating the bullet or just sizing and no crimp seating?
WapitiBob.......I crimp,I hunt with all my rifles And while I dont mistreat anything I do use my weapons,I have had rounds that were not crimped and the bullets shook out on the ride out west, I prefer the Lee factory crimp however I am using rcbs dies for the STW and am using the roll crimp on the bullet seater rite now( The Lee crimp is on the way)IMO if you are hunting with them.....crimp em

I may have a line on a same lot, 450 count of Remington 8mm magnum brass, stamped RP. I am waiting on a total count and price which should be this weekend.

Let me know on the Rem 8mm mag brass. I only have 51 pieces of it which I haven't resized but I'm sure when I do they will last as least as long as the rem 7 stw. My main goal is to find the best shooting and cheapest reloading cost per case. Yet to be determined though. If they last longer it will be worth the effort.

Well I absolutely love the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle. It has great glass, nice tactical turrets (it tracks perfectly) and the EBR-1 MOA Reticle in the FFP is not too big or too small. I really like the illumination too.

The set-up I use on my Remington 700 Sendero is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and Burris 30 mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it almost up to a mile if I want.

Gamehawker, I have had great luck with the EGW pic rails. I have two of them, and have had no issues. Good value for the money, and well built. Someone else may have other opinions, but they work for me. Other than that, I use Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings. They DO NOT MOVE. I am putting those on my new build. ( and a VARI- x III 6.5-20 AO in them)
I have heard a lot of good things about the vortex scopes. One of the guys at my club has one and swears by it. Very clear optics. Enjoy.

Sounds like the SST is good at that distance range, does in work on shorter ranges? Did you recover the bullet? What did it look like and do at that range? Where did it enter-exit?

Thanks

He was quartering towards me from left to right. The scope was a vxIII 4.5 x14 50 mm with a cds. I was at 7500 feet elevation and the gun was zeroed at 300. 26 clicks later i put the crosshairs directly on the crease of the right shoulder midway up the body. That is the impact spot. The buck ran about 50 yards stopped and fellover. I did not search for the bullet as the evidence of a large wound channel was enough. The bullet did not exit. I usually shoot nosler ballistic tips and they rarely exit also.