7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

WapitiBob,

You really should just be shooting 3 shot groups as stated by 7stw. Waaay too much barrel heat buildup and throat wear shooting 5 shot groups. Three shots will get you there. How often have you ever fired 5 shots at game? These are big cases of powder going down a small bore. I do a full cleaning after every 15 rounds on factory barrels just be sure copper doesn't build up. Just my 2c.

Std factory rem 700 barrel. I only shoot 3 shot groups and let cool 20 minutes between segments.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. If you had a varmint or Sendero contoured barrel, you can get away with three shots,almost back to back. However, what I have learned about " pencil" barrels, and magnum cartridges, and especially a "stretched out magnum" like the STW, I find that if I shoot two shot groups, let it cool, then shoot two more, at the same target, I get a better idea as to what the gun will group like. Let's face it, we are seldom going to get or need two shots back to back, let alone three. My son has a super accurate M70 in seven mag. It will ALWAYS put the first two in the SAME hole, the third will always be outside. Not too bad, but away from the first two.
When I got this Sako in December, I adopted the same way of testing it. Now what I do is, shoot two shots, let it cool, fire two more at same target. Sometimes I will shoot a total of six, at two shot intervals. Skinny barrels are accurate as some heavy barrels, but they can't handle the heat as well as the heavy ones do. I think if you put that thinking into your development, you are going to find your load quicker, waste less bullets and powder. Because, most of what I was seeing in those original targets seemed to be heat walking, or barrel shift. ( due to heat). Take care.

I shoot one shot and let it cool. It takes time, but I've found it gives me much better groups. If I'm working up a load I want accurate feedback.

Bob,

A couple of questions;

Were these all shot the same day with temperature about the same?

Did you make any scope adjustments?

7stw has a point on thinner barrels. I like them on hunting/carrying rifles as they make the load lighter. I am more of a walk and stalk ambush hunter in my area. I have 1 gun with a thin barrel and virtually every time I remember shooting it at the range, the first shot followed by the second touches the first hole but on left, holes touched. 3rd shot 1/2 inch left of that and a little higher now out side the first 2 (not touching either of them). I figured it was me as I was rapid firing. But it probably was a combination of barrel heat up and rushing. Does that sound similiar to what you were doing?

Each target shot on different days. First target, colder than a witches @@@. I sighted in the gun freshly recieved from remington after they replaced everything but my plastic stock. They shot the gun 40 times before they sent it back so I wasn't too worried about break in. I never touched the scope on positions 2/3.

2nd target, new day. Still cold, 40ish. 3rd target was Sunday. Probably 75 degrees out. Some scope adj between positions as I was looking for groups rather than an impact relationship between loads.

I will try the 2 shot method.

7stw, I will try your suggestion, thanks guys.

Well,

I finally got some range time today. I was able to do alot of shooting and load work. Unfortunately there was a bit of wind and gusts fom 10-15 MPH going left to right. It was sunny to partly cloudy and about 80 degrees.

I went specifically to shoot the 7 STW and I was shooting 180g Berger VLDs. I didn't chrony anything as I'm looking for a group.

I tried 3 diffrent powders, US869, Retumbo, and H1000. All shots were at 100yds and I allowed quite a bit of cooling between groups. I did shoot 5 shot groups so I could throw out the shots effected by gusts or my pulling the shot and still have 3-4 shots to establish a group. I was origionally going to shoot a 3 shot group if conditions were calm, the conditions weren't and I won't be getting another range day for a while, so I decided to shoot the 5 shot groups.

US869 wouldn't group under 2" so I'm eliminating it as a canidate right now. I was suprised with retumbo it actually shot better than H1000 in this rifle.

Here are the 3 best groups I could come up with in 10mph wind.....

78g Retumbo

IMG_20120423_201755.jpg

79g Retumbo

IMG_20120423_201813.jpg

IMG_20120423_201854.jpg

The bottom picture is 75g of H1000, this was 1 grain under book max, and the best load out of 4, H1000 loads. As a side note, all of the h1000 loads exhibited horizontal stringing. I'm thinking that this was due to the wind, but not sure, vertical was good on all of them as well. I'll probably revisit H1000 on a calmer day.

Retumbo looks good and I'm leaning to the 79g load. All loads were so they could eject live from the action if needed. They are off of the lands quite a bit, but no where close to magazine length. I will probably play with the seating depth as well.

Dan

Good overall groups but I have a different thought. The bottom group had the least vertical spread, which I feel is the best group. Horizontal groups are more wind and shooter related. The bottom group exhibits more powder consistency?

Which group was shot first and last?

My initial thoughts.

Ed

Ed,

The First loads shot were US869, Then Retumbo and finally H1000. Going from lowest charge then stepping up.

The bottom group was the 3rd to last group I shot. The other two groups after this bottom group looked very similar, just more spread out. they were all at the same elevation. Since the H1000 was my last round, I was begining to attribute it to shooter fatigue.

Dan

Well I just found out the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle that I had on backorder from Camera Land that is going on my 2nd Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW is being delivered today! :)

I'll put it on the rifle tonight and take both Senderos 7mm STW to the range tomorrow! :D

Hi Dan,
I wouldn't write off the first 2 groups yet, I would try them again at 300yds on a still morning and only try 3 shot groups with a couple in reserve in case you pull a shot. this will really tell you if your load is any good.

Ed,

The First loads shot were US869, Then Retumbo and finally H1000. Going from lowest charge then stepping up.

The bottom group was the 3rd to last group I shot. The other two groups after this bottom group looked very similar, just more spread out. they were all at the same elevation. Since the H1000 was my last round, I was begining to attribute it to shooter fatigue.

Dan

Dano' brother,that 78-Retumbo load looks like it could be made to shoooot. It seems to be there, it just wants a little tweaking. She is definitely a shooter. That stock made all the difference in the world. I think you are close to your mark, and it won't be long before you settle, and recheck, then chronograph. I'm happy for ya.
I almost have my donor paid for, then I'll get mine put together. I am going to give my semi- custom to my son as a graduation gift. I think he " suspects" that, but probably dosen't think that I would ever do such a thing. That thing is a absolute lazer with 150 partitions, or BT. He smoked a eight pointer with it the year after I completed it, and has loved it ever since. ( can't imagine why !). Take care, and good shooting!

Well I just found out the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle that I had on backorder from Camera Land that is going on my 2nd Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW is being delivered today! :)

I'll put it on the rifle tonight and take both Senderos 7mm STW to the range tomorrow! :D

Isn't that special!!!!!!!:D. He he ! Enjoy