7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Mossy Ag,
The no.1's are very nice, found one in 270 at the Birmingham gun show that was a blued action and very clean with hardly any wear marks on it for 600. Almost bought it but I found a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 16ga. And couldn't put it down instead. I will own one one day, if I find a stainless one, I will find a way to get it. I thought 600 was a fair price, the man that had it said it belonged to a friend of his and it was a shooter. I would like to own one in a "different" or special caliber like 6.5x55 Swede or 7x57.:D
FE

Anyone have any thoughts on Millett Scopes........Ive got Leupolds and one Intensity....... just somthing about them that catches my eyegun)

Butterbean, my uncle has one in a 6.5-25, 56 mm lens. Natchez had them on sale, and in stock last summer, so he bought one. I was surprised at the clarity, for the buck. His is a " Buck Gold". He paid $189.00 on line in the clearance section. It gas a fine cross hair. Not bad in a pinch.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.:). 7 STW.

Well, quick trip to the range today. 76.5 gr of RL22 got the velocity I wanted. 3100fps out of a 25" barrel with 162 amax. Problem is that the bolt got sticky as well. Guess I'll just have to be happy with 3050.

RE: New build, update. Guys, I have scored big time. I finally received the barrel today that I bought from "longhauler" from our classifieds. Well, it has a new crown on it, and the bore is tight, smooth, and no roller coaster feel when you put a tight patch in the bore. Externally, it is in excellent shape. I will clean it up with some Flitz polish and it will be pretty as a picture. Now for the next part. I am considering removing the barrel from my 300 RUM Sendero. That barrel is a shooter, and has a habit of being fatal to the existence of the whitetail species, when pointed in there general direction. However, I am by heart a 7mm aficionado, from way back, and am at least considering replacing it's barrel with this beauty. If I was to do that , I may or may not sell the barrel. The RUM is accurate as $&@?, but it just don't have the finese that the STW has. I bought it new in 2006. My first sendero STW, is the original, without the palm swell. I obviously have not "pulled the trigger " on that idea yet, but am considering it! What do you think? :rolleyes:

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. gun). 7 STW.

I don't see the big gain in the 300 RUM over the stw unless you are shooting past 1000 yards, then I'd go to 338 Lapua Improved where you can really stretch out with the 300 grain high bc bullets. The 7 stw has such good bullet selection right now. I've heard talk that Berger may be bringing out a 191 grain high bc hunting vld! If you get that smokin you'ld be pretty close to 300 RUM for hunting out in the 1200 yard I'd think? But I don't know enough to really guage that?

Well, quick trip to the range today. 76.5 gr of RL22 got the velocity I wanted. 3100fps out of a 25" barrel with 162 amax. Problem is that the bolt got sticky as well. Guess I'll just have to be happy with 3050.

I really have fallen in love with that bullet. My sons 7 mag shoots them into a dot with RL 22 as well. My Sako STW loves them too. The last ime I shot them, I was loading 76.0-rl22. My next attempt is the load you just shot. I think I am at about 3050 as well. I know I have seen that speed, I just can't remember if I was shooting 22', or VN170. I just picked up, or actually was given, three boxes of the old style A- Maxes. These are longer, have a bigger red tip, and the BC is higher than the present day A- Maxes. They are actually longer than a 168 Berger, and have a higher G7 BC. Imagine that, less weight, higher BC. I like those numbers. Have you tried H1000' or RL25? Those powders will probably give you a little more speed, and less pressure. But I'm like you, I love RL 22 in the STW. It seems to be the best all around powder. Take care, be safe!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLgun) lightbulb 7 STW.

7stw,
The only interesting rifle is one that will shoot in my book so it would be hard to tare down a rifle that shoots. On the other hand, that 300's got to lay some kinda punch. My best friend has a 300 Weatherby and it will kick the snot out you with 10 grs. of powder less than the RUM. The 7stw is just more practical with less recoil and will do everything it will do with the larger bullets in my humble opinion. I like 30 cals. But I like the .284 a bit better because of SD and BC if that makes any difference at all, can't get any deader than dead. Again you do have a 300 RUM that will shoot!lightbulb
FE

7stw,
The only interesting rifle is one that will shoot in my book so it would be hard to tare down a rifle that shoots. On the other hand, that 300's got to lay some kinda punch. My best friend has a 300 Weatherby and it will kick the snot out you with 10 grs. of powder less than the RUM. The 7stw is just more practical with less recoil and will do everything it will do with the larger bullets in my humble opinion. I like 30 cals. But I like the .284 a bit better because of SD and BC if that makes any difference at all, can't get any deader than dead. Again you do have a 300 RUM that will shoot!lightbulb
FE

That , being the recoil, is part of the reason that I am considering going that route. Yes, it does shoot, and it's track record is is near perfect. I must admit, it shoots very well, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I first got it. She will "knock the snot out of you", that's for **** sure. That in itself effects the way you shoot, and it is a distraction. It is always on your mind, that impending slam you are about to receive, and if you are in a less than perfect form, it will bite you even worse. Don't get me wrong, I am not a recoil wimp, but less is better. I do not even think about the STW recoil, or a 7 mag, or even a 300 win mag. But the RUM, will make you think. Thanks for the input Fred!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.lightbulb. 7 STW.

RE: New build, update. Guys, I have scored big time. I finally received the barrel today that I bought from "longhauler" from our classifieds. Well, it has a new crown on it, and the bore is tight, smooth, and no roller coaster feel when you put a tight patch in the bore. Externally, it is in excellent shape. I will clean it up with some Flitz polish and it will be pretty as a picture. Now for the next part. I am considering removing the barrel from my 300 RUM Sendero. That barrel is a shooter, and has a habit of being fatal to the existence of the whitetail species, when pointed in there general direction. However, I am by heart a 7mm aficionado, from way back, and am at least considering replacing it's barrel with this beauty. If I was to do that , I may or may not sell the barrel. The RUM is accurate as $&@?, but it just don't have the finese that the STW has. I bought it new in 2006. My first sendero STW, is the original, without the palm swell. I obviously have not "pulled the trigger " on that idea yet, but am considering it! What do you think? :rolleyes:

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. gun). 7 STW.
Thats a tough one.....I had a 300 Rum in a Model 70 Win....It was the most abusive weapon i have ever shouldered,I sent it down the road,now I wish I had kept it.......I would find another sacrifice if it was me,With that being said let me have first dib's on the barrel.....Thanks for the info on millett

7stw,
Sounds like the rum's days are numbered if the recoil is that noticeable.
Question: I see in your threads that you use the Berger bullets. Which one should I try in my stw for accuracy- hunting? I have been using 160gr. AB with perfect success and the bonded core Hold up much better than the BT or a "regular core" bullet. I think the Bergers are not a bonded core bullet. Question 2: how well do they hold up and if they are seated to the lands, will they fit in the Rem. 700LA magazine being so long? Share some wisdom here please.lightbulb
Thanks,
Fe

7stw,
Sounds like the rum's days are numbered if the recoil is that noticeable.
Question: I see in your threads that you use the Berger bullets. Which one should I try in my stw for accuracy- hunting? I have been using 160gr. AB with perfect success and the bonded core Hold up much better than the BT or a "regular core" bullet. I think the Bergers are not a bonded core bullet. Question 2: how well do they hold up and if they are seated to the lands, will they fit in the Rem. 700LA magazine being so long? Share some wisdom here please.lightbulb
Thanks,
Fe

Fred, I hope I don't catch on fire for saying this, because I love how the Bergers shoot, but if you have AB's that shoot well, your search is over. One thing about thebergers, and it pains me to say this, but if you drive them at or over 3200 fps, they are a BOMB on impact. I have had three such occurrences, and it wasn't pretty. ( I can feel the heat already). But, if you are shooting a Berger 168, I don't think that you are going to approach that critical speed of 3200, and you may be OK. I have shot deer with AB's, at MV of 3369 and 3305 with the 300, and the bullet stayed together, even at 225 yards. I shot a huge doe this past deer season at 212 yds, with a 165 VLD. Muzzle velocity was 3289+-.Dead nuts behind the shoulder shot. Deer feel over. When I walked up to her, she got up and ran to the woods. I saw a HUGE flesh wound, and lots of blood. Wetracked that deer for more that a 1/4 mile, and could not find her. Don't know why,because there was 40 gallons of blood on the ground and trees and bushes, you get the picture. Point is, that it did not penetrate the vitals, and it was a spot on shot. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "Berger Bashing", asi do love them , but you have to watch the speed. I need to go put my fire suit on.

7 STW.