7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I plan on building my second STW this summer. I am going to try a defiance action (remington clone), I was wondering what bottom metal seems to work best for VLD style bullets. I have been using the berger 168 in the one I currently own and due to their length it has become more or lest a single shot.

Mowdy Ag,
Very nice no. 1, did't know they chambered one in 7stw. Have always wanted a no.1, had a friend that had one in 270 that would drive nails. I'd rather have it in 7stw though, nice find.:)
FE

rifflar 016.jpg

7mmstw 026.jpg

100 mtr. 8 shoots. X = 8mm.
80gn VV 165 powder , Nosler 140 BT OAL 94mm gun)

Awesome pictures everyone.

I have a goal to take head shots when I am good enough.

It's a real meat saver and that makes a lot of sense to me. Just have to feel good enough, for me probably that's going to be at 300 meters + or - a little.

Nice shot.

gun)
Hey 7......any thoughts on powder
Hey 7stw I know a guy who has gotten two of the thumbhole laminated stocks from boyds.........had to sand them in a couple of places(very minimal)They look really good and shoot great,the price is great on them......Stockey's has a laminate with a bedding block in it(Im a bedding block fan) for about twice the price but I have never seen one up close but for the money you cant go wrong with Boyds IMOgun)

Mine is a Savage Model 112.
I mainly shoot 140 grn Accubonds and 140 grn Berger Hunting VLD with H-1000

It is my go to gun and has been nicknamed "Deliver of Death".

PICT0064.jpg

Ready to go, new to me.

NewColor.jpg

Painted original stock for something different.

Will upload what it looks like in new stock still my go to gun.

I use today Nosler 140 BT bullets , Fed. 215 primer, Rem. brass, Vihtavuori N165 powder 80gn OAL 94mm. 3450-3500 fps. Start loading from 77gn to 83 but 80gn is very accurate.
MRP powder 80gn was also good. Have not try any other powder. Hard to get RL and Hogdon powder. Local gun dealer is selling Vihtavuori power and MRP

I use today Nosler 140 BT bullets , Fed. 215 primer, Rem. brass, Vihtavuori N165 powder 80gn OAL 94mm. 3450-3500 fps. Start loading from 77gn to 83 but 80gn is very accurate.
MRP powder 80gn was also good. Have not try any other powder. Hard to get RL and Hogdon powder. Local gun dealer is selling Vihtavuori and MRP power , sierra, Norma and Nosler bullets.
Next step is buying March scope 8-80x56 or 5-50x56 to use on paper and long range shooting.
I like the Zeiss 6-24x72 what I have today when I´m hunting. He is soooo bright and clear lightbulb. Nothing like Zeiss :D

Last edited:
gun)
Hey 7stw I know a guy who has gotten two of the thumbhole laminated stocks from boyds.........had to sand them in a couple of places(very minimal)They look really good and shoot great,the price is great on them......Stockey's has a laminate with a bedding block in it(Im a bedding block fan) for about twice the price but I have never seen one up close but for the money you cant go wrong with Boyds IMOgun)

I think that those stocks that Stockys has are short actions. Are you talking about the Bobby Hart stocks? I THINK they are short action only. One of those would be nice. I have shot a friends rifle, who has that stock, and they are nice! I too am bedding block fan, but bedded pillar blocks work good too. That is what I WAS going to do with the new build. Actually, I may pillar bed it any way.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW.

MRP powder 80gn was also good. Have not try any other powder. Hard to get RL and Hogdon powder. Local gun dealer is selling Vihtavuori power and MRP

Man, that is a smokin rifle, and a smokin reindeer!!!! Oh yea' nice shot too! But then again, look what you are shooting! I have never shot VN165 before. I have shot the VN 170. Very , very clean, but I think it was a little TOO slow, even when near compressed, and with 168 Bergers. I did notice, however that that the ES, and SD were very low, and it was accurate. Nice job on all accounts, and Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, 7 STWgun)

P/S, You DID !

gun)

I stand corrected on my previous quote on the stocks. They are avail in long action. I like the ones with the block, but the LRH version is on sale. That opens up another avenue....... I had not visited their website in awhile. Thanks.
7STW:)

I think that those stocks that Stockys has are short actions. Are you talking about the Bobby Hart stocks? I THINK they are short action only. One of those would be nice. I have shot a friends rifle, who has that stock, and they are nice! I too am bedding block fan, but bedded pillar blocks work good too. That is what I WAS going to do with the new build. Actually, I may pillar bed it any way.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW.
7stw They make the Bobby Hart's in long action $254.99 in all different colors...........Just a thought,

...appreciate the comments guys.

Fred Ea: I didn't mention it in my first post (this is an STW thread after all) but I also have my STW's younger sister, and - since you mentioned it - she's a 270 (2005) in even (very slightly) better condition. The STW and the 270 were originally owned by the same guy. ...and there was a third, a 300 Win Mag, but somebody else got to it before me. That's OK though - the STW was the real prize in my eyes. The 270 is my next project and will belong to my #1 grandson some day. He's 20 months old so I have a little time to work on it (haven't done a thing to it yet).

...love both of my Ruger twins... ...but the STW is my babe. :)

MA

Attachments

• 270-1.JPG
    270-1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 31

Recent Posts