7mm SS Bullet Suggestion For Elk?

Winny94

Just found out I drew my first elk tag for this fall/winter. Planning on taking my 7 Sherman Short. Hunting primarily in Iowa, I dont get to test performance of centerfire hunting bullets, so really looking for some suggestions from people that do get to use them a lot.

Looking for something that will be capable from 100-~750. I dont intend to shoot further than 300-400, but if the conditions call for it, I want the capability to do it.
Looking towards the heavy(ier) end of the spectrum 170gr+ to help with wind (hunting around the Cheyenne area)
Plan to use H1000 (for temp stability)
Needs to be able to handle a shoulder shot if it happens
The easier to load for, the better. My 800 yard range is about an hour drive so weekly trips arent feasible, so I can't be constantly testing.
Barrel is 26" 1-8 so I expect velocities from a 175-180 class bullet to come in around 2975-3050 depending on where the node is.
.110 free bore (will be mag-fed from a SA 2.950 max COAL)

ELD-X 175?
ABLR 175?
Berger 180 VLDH?
Others?
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I just shot a Zebra with a 175gr ABLR with a 7mmRem @ 2850fps at 180yrd. The bullet broke ft shoulder, penetrated both lungs, and was under the hide on off side. 77.4gr recovered weight.

Can't ask for much better than that

Attachments

• ED5B7845-70F7-4622-969A-01E1704DBC38.jpeg
    ED5B7845-70F7-4622-969A-01E1704DBC38.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 202
My go to answer is NOSLER PARTITION, but you did say 750 yards, so all the 'too low BC' folks will chime in, so I would then suggest a bonded bullet (Accubond or Accubond Long Range) or Barnes TTSX. If you want to be different and shoot a really great bullet, consider the Hammer Hunter. Over a $1 a piece, but very easy to find an accurate load quickly with those things.

Congratulations on the elk tag! Best game animal meat there is. I hope you get one.

EDIT ADDED:
Having just seen this posted on another thread, I will retract the Barnes TTSX recommendation as it will likely fail to expand at 750 yards (see attached image)
upload_2019-7-11_22-8-25.png

Last edited:
I am shooting the 180 ELD with RL26 and I have to lean on it pretty hard to get 3000 FPS with a 26" barrel. You might be a little optimistic trying to get there with H1000.

That said I don't recommend the 180 ELD. I am going to try Berger's with H1000. My wife has an oryx hunt in September so I expect it to be hot. I have heard above 80 degrees RL26 isn't very stable.

I'm debating between the 180 and 195.

Just found out I drew my first elk tag for this fall/winter. Planning on taking my 7 Sherman Short. Hunting primarily in Iowa, I dont get to test performance of centerfire hunting bullets, so really looking for some suggestions from people that do get to use them a lot.

Looking for something that will be capable from 100-~750. I dont intend to shoot further than 300-400, but if the conditions call for it, I want the capability to do it.
Looking towards the heavy(ier) end of the spectrum 170gr+ to help with wind (hunting around the Cheyenne area)
Plan to use H1000 (for temp stability)
Needs to be able to handle a shoulder shot if it happens
The easier to load for, the better. My 800 yard range is about an hour drive so weekly trips arent feasible, so I can't be constantly testing.
Barrel is 26" 1-8 so I expect velocities from a 175-180 class bullet to come in around 2975-3050 depending on where the node is.
.110 free bore (will be mag-fed from a SA 2.950 max COAL)

ELD-X 175?
ABLR 175?
Berger 180 VLDH?
Others?
Thanks a lot!
Nosler make a 160 accubond that is deadly ! I killed moose in canada with one shot on two different occasions !

There's little use in pussyfooting around, just start out with best, Nosler Partitions. Granted, some rifles don't like them, so either sell the rifle (my first choice!) or choose a second place bullet! Call me crazy, or old fashioned, inflexible, or whatever, but bullet selection is one subject I'm a real barnacle-brain on, I hunt with Partitions. Period. That said, and with no practical experience with them, the Hammer bullets seem to have a solid fan base, so I would go there as a second choice. Many people seem to worry a lot about the price but honestly, if you need more than 100 rounds, your problems are NOT the bullets!
Cheers,
crkckr

I only use the Barnes. 7rm, 300 win, 300 ultra, 270, 30-06, 7-08, 243, 308, and my AR's. Well I use other rounds in my AR's too. Anyway I have killed a ton of elk and deer. So have my sons, daughter, and wife. My typical ranges are 500 to 700 just due to the steep mountains. I have yet to have an animal escape after being shot. I have only recovered a few of the Barnes bullets (because most are pass thoughts), but the ones I have recovered have all expanded like they were suppose to. Shoulders are the shot choice for the smaller calibers, and the bullets perform perfectly. Good luck

I've dug a LOT of partitions out of elk that you could load and fire again, they are a good bullet till they all of the sudden aren't which happens a lot sooner than many since they are a ballistic brick, guys gotta watch the impact velocity on them more than most think.

Keep the Partition IMPACT velocity at 1800 fps or faster and they are awesome. Every bullet has a 'threshold'. 1800 fps isn't asking too much. If I was needing expansion out to 750/800 yards, I'd be looking at the ELD-X or the Accubond (or ABLR).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.