7mm RUM

chickm1

I wish someone would enlighten me to their success story of load development for the 7mm RUM. I have given up trying to find a load for this cartridge. The Remington Premier loads with the 140gr bullet, shot great in my rifle, and I just decided to spend the bucks and forget it, but, Remington has ceased production on the 7mm RUM cartridges, and will not give me the data. At the price of the other manufacturers loads, I am not willing to drop the money to experiment with them. If I cannot find a load, I am probably going to rebarrel to another caliber. I do not want to go to a heavier bullet, as all of my shots are under 400 yards, and I like having a fast flat load.

Here's what I did for my 7RUM (shot softball-sized groups at 100 yards)... I took the rifle to my gunsmith, had him remove the stock, blueprint the action, bed it all into a new HS Precision stock, and give it a RUM-ectomy... :D We gave it a transplant with a 7mm STW barrel. Being that the action was originally a RUM action (feed rails have already been opened from the factory), I'm thinking about building a .28 Nosler out of it, just to diversify my 7mm collection, since I already have another 7mm STW that shoots amazing. :cool:

Mine shot 3" groups, too. Took it to Ray Perry. He went through it, and finished with piller bedding it. It was already in a fiberglass stock, as it was a RMEF edition. It sho the factory ammo great, after that. Still have not been able to load for it.

I have a custom 7RUM-- I plan to load 175eld-x with retumbo or H1000.

HOWEVER-- In the meantime I bought several boxes of the HSM 180gr VLD--- and they flat, SHOOT. My barrel is a proof 1-9". If you have the SPS and its the 1-9.25" then maybe give the HSM 168gr VLD a chance.

If you look hard online you can get them for $56-58 a box. Every cartridge I've tried from HSM has shot well in custom and factory rifles (25-06, 30-06, 7RM, 7RUM)

I think the RMEF were essentially SPS--- 26" sporter contour barrels, camo synthetic stock with engraved bottom metal right?

According to the berger calculator the 180s might not be stable with the 1-9.25 twist but the 168s will be more than stable at any temp even at very low elevations (not sure where you are located).

Look online and HSM 168gr VLDs are $53 a box-- if those won't shoot in that rifle then I dont know what will.

The RMEF is a SS Mod 700, in a (I think) 3 Rivers fiberglass stock. There is no engraving on the bottom plate. I had the action blueprinted, and piller bedded. With the factory Premier 140 gr, it shot less than 1", which was acceptable to me. I do think that this rifle should be able to shoot 1/2" or less. I will look into the HSM loads. What I had found was like $75-80 a box, and I said no way.

Sent you a PM on the ammo.

The 'RMEF' guns I'd seen listed and online were plastic stocks with the floorplate engraved. They were also the j-lock guns.

I've had very good results with the 7rum over the years.
Usually I'll use a 140 sierra with rl25 (or rl22) or a 175-180 with retumbo.
My current 7rum shoots 1/2 moa or less with 175 hdy sp's or 180 sierra hpbt bullets and a mild charge of retumbo in rem brass with a 215; I believe it's just over hodgdon start charge and it's already at 3100 fps for a 180... My brother had a sendero 7rum shooting very well with retumbo and 150's.

P.m. me for load specifics if you want... I've shot out one of these puppies and this one's getting a bit long in the tooth lately. I've never been more confident in the field with a rifle as I was with my first 7rum. This rifle is as good as my first 7rum, but I have other great rifles now so I don't push one rifle as hard in the field.

Had same problems loading for my son's 7 RUM. Went to hybrid profile bullets and .003 neck tension. It went to 1/2moa. The normal chambers have a long jump to lands, because of pressure spikes, and the hybrids are easier to tune to accuracy. I used Retumbo and 168 Classic Hunter. Only problem was it shed the jacket on a mule deer and an antelope at 200 yds+/-. Neither got up, but if it wasn't for the short barrel life on the 7RUM, I'd use 180 hybrids because of RUM velocities. JMO

Rem case, 90.6 gr imr 7828, rem 9.5m , 140 accubond, oal 3.670, 3400 fps work up to it. Might have to play with oal 3.600 up to 3.670. Shoots 3/4 in groups @100. Factory LSS 700 sitting in HSprecision stock. Shot well with factory lss stock also. Also shoots 150 partitions well with rl25 and fed 215 but the load is 95.0 gr and was developed with a lot# purchased in late 90s or very early 2000's. Definitely work up from way below at your own risk.

I have a 7rum and shoot 180 Bergers @ 3125fps. I am loading 89 grains of Retumbo with fed 215 primer. Compartor length 3.035. This shoots 9/16-5/8's groups religously. I am going to have a 4.00 Wyatts box installed but for now its a single shot. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.