7mm RUM velocity

bwalker

Whats the highest velocities everyone is getting with the 7mm rum using 140 and 160 gr bullets? What powders? Barrel length?

I read an arctile in the "Western optics hunter" magazine recently that had a 7mm RUM built on a Ruger #1 action w/a 28.5" bbl and he claimed to be getting 3730 FPS w/140 Nosler ballistic tip. around 1/2" group. I do not know what powder he used, I imagine it was something like RL-25 or some super slow powder.

I dont know exactly how true it is either.

A friend of mine is getting 3310 fps with the 160 gr. TSX and Retumbo, very consistant velocity and 3/4" groups at 100 yards with his factory 700 SS.

bwalker,
I'm shooting a 26" SF Sendero in 7 Ultra and am getting 3500+ with a 140gr NBT Moly over 96.0gr of I-7828 lit by F-215s. I don't think this is max, but it shoots so well, I'm going to leave it alone. I haven't done much with the heavies because I haven't been able to find the really slow powders, i.e. H50BMG and the like.
As usual, I would recommend you reduce any load and sneek up on max. My understanding from other shooters is this round spikes pressure fast.
Good Shooting,
db

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.