7mm RUM LOADS?

dads 7RUM likes 140 accubonds with 86.5 grains of h4831sc. the load shoots 1/2 inch on a totally stock gun accept the trigger and recoil pad. this load was loaded WAAAAYYYYYY off the lands and the remington 700 loved it that way! velocity i believ was either 3400 or 3600 i dont remember. i think 3600 seems way to high so im leaning towards 3400.

it lets ya know when the trigger goes off though!

POP - I shoot two loads from my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm RUM; Hornady 154gr. InterBond, 91gr. RL25, Fed. 215, OAL 3.625 & Nosler 160gr. AccuBonds, 91gr. H1000, Fed. 215, OAL 3.620. Both shoot about 3300+- fps. I have grouped either at 1"- @ 100yds. Hit an elk with the 154gr. at about 325 - 350 yds, one step and now he hangs on the wall. I also read your thread about www.bulletdudes.com, checked the site out and I remember seeing the Nosler can't recall about the Hornady.

What I wanted to do is create the ultimate antelope/open country deer load. So I figured that if I can push the 140's at 3500-3600 that would do it. I will be getting the 7mm RUM next week so we will see.

I guess 3600 fps is a bit optomistic. I had no trouble getting 3500 fps from a 140 BT from a 7 stw though. We will see.

POP, What barrel length are you getting? My 7mm RUM with 26" barrel won't do much over 3400fps using Retumbo and 140 Accubonds. I started with 94 grains and got an average of 3398, I worked up to 96.5 grains and was only getting 3438 . With 160 Accubonds and 93 grains Retumbo I get 3207,
94.5 gets me 3272. Remington factory 160 Partitions (no longer available) got 3253fps. This was all with my 30 year Oehler model 33 chrono. I was told, by someone shooting next to me a while back, that I was getting the biggest fireball from my barrel he had ever seen in the daytime. This was with the Retumbo.
I am now trying Rl25 and best accuracy is with 90 grains and 160 Accubond and no fireball. I haven't run them through the chrono yet.
I am thinking of having it rebarreled to 30 inchs.
Dale

I have a new Sako 75 in 7mm RUM I haven't shot it yet I've been considering 120gr Lazerheads. Does anyone have any experince with these bullets.

Reloaders nest list a load with 120gr BT 95gr RL25 @ 3800fps. The lazerheads ar suposed to give a little extra velocity due to their coating. Has anyone tried the Lazerheads?
DR B

bjlooper

You will soon learn that around here, light fast bullets are not the way we fly for long range, you seem to be thinking along the lines of lazzeroni. bigger bullets at slower speeds with a higher BC are better for longer range, if your into longer range shooting anyways. just been reading some posts from you lately, and seems you like the light fast bullets for calibers. not to diss you or flame you or whatever, but at long range, those light fast bullets fall flat on there face after 600-700 yards.

Actually 25-06 is correct about the higher BC bigger/heavier bullets. The reason I want the small faster ones is because this will be a Wyoming open plains antelope deer rifle and up to about 500 yards or so it really does not make that big of a diff. Now if you were to wonder to 800-1200 yard territory (something I do not do nor do I need to where I hunt) then hell yes you need the big loooooooong ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

150 gr partition, 95 gr RL 25, Fed 215, Rem Brass, OAL 3.670 chrono'ed at 3450, maybe could go a little higher but I get good accuracy here. Just barely fit my mod 700 magazine. Every gun is different so if you try this one be sure to work up from below. Also RL 25 can differ from lot to lot.

I would be tempted to try IMR 7828 with 140's and lighter. I have some of the short cut version so I may just try that to see what kind of velocity is available.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.