7mm RM Question-First Post from Lewiston, ID

DanD-ID

I've been reading Len's LRH magazine for just under a year but this is my first post. Great Forums and very solid answers which I appreciate. Opinions and egos don't get too big and I appreciate the level of experience out there. I found Long Range Hunter at the recommendation of a buddy who is a PRS competitor, outfitter/packer and darn good shooter. He has helped me tremendously so far.
I just read the article on the 7mmRM by Nathan Foster and although I've owned my 7mm RM Remington Classic rifle for many years, have been reloading for a very long time, and taken home some nice game with my 7mm I'm looking for improving accuracy, reducing weight and better managing recoil. I'm not recoil sensitive but would like to "stay on the gun" better after a shot and am ready to have a more "custom" Rifle built for 1. hunting and 2. long range shooting/competition/practice.
My question relates to barrel length and utilization of a muzzle break. What is the recommendation for the barrel length utilizing a break? Ideally I prefer a 26 inch barrel. Should I go to a 24 inches barrel length plus the break or, go 26" in barrel length then have the rifle threaded for the break? I may also utilize my .30 caliber suppressor on it from time to time so likely need to consider a break that can be removed and then re-installed (?Mad Scientist break?) with proper positioning. Thanks for the help. Dan D.

hi Dan, and Welcome to our forum! even with bbl length its all a comprise , you know 10 questions 10 different answers that type of deal but that's fine to ,we are all different. seeing that you prefer 26 inchs i'd say go with that, muzzle brake ok, not familiar with MS break sorry. next pick the barrel conture, are you going ss or chrome moly ? what about flutting? twist rate ? what bullets what weights do you want to shoot? do you have a gunsmith in mind? have you thought about tearing your 7 mag down and using the action for a custom build? or you could glass Pillar bed the action and free float your bbl,and put a better recoil pad on her! thks

26"+ brake. I'd look at a side port, not radial. If you plan on using the can, you need to make sure threads are compatible for both and run that by your smith, when picking contour.

Welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the north! If I were you I would go with a seekins as they are in your back yard!

But that aside, I would go 24" barrel plus the break, but that's my idaho hunting experience talking. Im working on a titanium break right now that will have 3 side ports and also have two smaller ports on the top to limit barrel rise after a shot, in an effort to get on target faster.

Welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the north! If I were you I would go with a seekins as they are in your back yard!

But that aside, I would go 24" barrel plus the break, but that's my idaho hunting experience talking. Im working on a titanium break right now that will have 3 side ports and also have two smaller ports on the top to limit barrel rise after a shot, in an effort to get on target faster.

Thanks for the reply and yes, I'm considering a Seekins HAVAC rifle since they are just up the road and I was able to spend some time talking with them at the SHOT Show earlier this month (Great people and company!). Only issue is that theirs isn't (yet) available in a long action. Their long action is in the works but, for now the will be first offering 28Nosler and 300WM (Glen Seekins interview on SHOT SHOW TV) in the caliber spectrum I'm interested in, 28 Nosler is a great cartridge but just not enough available brass at reasonable prices yet IMHO.

adding to comments...Thanks for the post, welcome and info! Since I'm intending to use the rifle on hunts (primary) and occasional use off the bench or PRS type shooting I am leaning towards the 24" profile which makes it about right in overall length.

hi Dan, and Welcome to our forum! even with bbl length its all a comprise , you know 10 questions 10 different answers that type of deal but that's fine to ,we are all different. seeing that you prefer 26 inchs i'd say go with that, muzzle brake ok, not familiar with MS break sorry. next pick the barrel conture, are you going ss or chrome moly ? what about flutting? twist rate ? what bullets what weights do you want to shoot? do you have a gunsmith in mind? have you thought about tearing your 7 mag down and using the action for a custom build? or you could glass Pillar bed the action and free float your bbl,and put a better recoil pad on her! thks

Great points to ponder... That's why I appreciate the knowledge base (and heavy opinions) out there on this forum! A few I've pinned down (I hope). No flutes, personally don't care for them even though they may help disburse heat. Gunsmith; Yes, as recommended by my buddies that shoot PRS in this area and the rifles they have built (which I've had the pleasure to shoot). Twist; likely 1-9, contour? Sendero (sp?). Bullets..not sure but likely heavy Bergers. I do have a REM 700 long action I'll likely contribute to the build so that saves a few bucks. Probably SS barrel. I'm like a sponge soaking info up for this build and along with visiting several Long Range booths at the SHOT Show I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with info! Probably take me a week or so to sort this all out! Only concerns is the time it will take to get a nice stock. Those guys are busy and 6-9 months out! Thanks for keeping me on a good path!

I'm biased to use 24" light contour with a brake or heavy contour 26" without. Shoot both at the range. However when I carry the heavy contour stuff in the field, it gets old very quick. Been a while since reading NFosters info but from memory he likes the Sendero and 162 amax and can confirm that bullet or the 168 hvld are extremely accurate in my 7mm bolt guns sendero and light contour. Of course you can now get a heavy profile carbon barrel to reduce weight. I've handled the Seekins Havak and it is a lot of rifle for the money. Other thought if you are going to get into competing might consider one of the 6mm or 6.5mm including the new 6.5mm prs from Seekins and brake your 7mm and cover all the bases. Good luck.

Your welcome Dan, your rifle list is shorter already, yes stock is important ss bbl check, no flutts check, sendero profile 1-9 twist check , guys will a 1-9 stabilize a 180 berger? think trigger, total weight ? look at all the rifle build pictures you can it really helps, on our forum its gun photos!. I think more rifles are built to heavy then to light,this is a stumbling block that even caught me! and soooooooooo I use that rifle less an less ,yes I have others but their not all full blown customs .take yur time n Choose wisely, good luck!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.