7mm RM brass

Jeremy Walbert

So I am having a 7RM built but have only really shot varmint calibers. Is it really worth the extra money for Norma brass. I don't mind the brass prep since I have to wait for the rifle anyway. I will be neck turning regardless. I use mostly Winchester brass for everything else. What is everyone s opinion?

I have had really good luck with Norma brass, and also Nosler brass. I also do neck turn everything but by weight sorting it seems both of those at least in the 7 RM is more consistent as lots than the cheaper brass. IMO of coarse, I am a novice but trying to learn.

So I am having a 7RM built but have only really shot varmint calibers. Is it really worth the extra money for Norma brass. I don't mind the brass prep since I have to wait for the rifle anyway. I will be neck turning regardless. I use mostly Winchester brass for everything else. What is everyone s opinion?
Buy Nosler brass. It's already prepped, and already weight-sorted. Simply load and shoot. Also, if you've never loaded for a belted magnum, I recommend neck-sizing your brass.

From the things I have read they are made in the same place but Nosler goes a step further in weight sorting. Could be wrong but have read that in multiple places.
This is correct, and they also prep the brass and then polish it, as well as weight-sort it. All prep work is done. Open box, load brass.

I planned on bump sizing based on the shoulder with a full length die. Working with a belted magnum will be a new experience.

BF5D2968-ECFB-4ECE-B395-957691203154.jpeg
B1251B1F-13CC-4C3F-AF40-4E3D8604392F.jpeg

You on the right site brother, everyone here will help u out. That's nosler brass with 180 bergers and my 7mm.

I have had poor luck with Hornady brass could be me but there is a lot of inconsistency from lot to lot IMO.

Winchester. Lately I've moved to cartridges that I can't find Winchester for and so I go Norma or Lapua. I did get a few hundred Nosler blemishes once and they ok. Haven't shot enough of them to say much.

I find I spend a lot of time prepping Winchester brass to get to Norma tolerances. If time is money, then Norma might be the way to go.

JRock... I pretty much shoot Nosler blem brass exclusively in my 7mmRM's and 7mm STW's. After first firing and then cleanup and polishing, I can't tell the difference between my A-stock brass, and my blem brass. Also, after firing them, checking for weight-sorting is also just as consistent as A-stock Nosler brass. Groups are also just as good.

I weight sorted 200 rds of Norma 7 Rm brass recently, one lot. Best numbers I have ever had. Better than lapua. I threw out 6 (SIX) pieces out of 200, and at the end had a lot of 194 brass within 0.6% spread of each other. 2.2 gr total spread with a mean weight of 215 gr (min 213.9 max 216.1).

I was so pleased that I did not bother to sub divide the 194 pieces, just threw them in one pile. Have not shot yet, but no one has suggested that Nosler brass is inherently better than Norma, just better prepped.

For prep, I will just run a Sinclair expander mandrel through the necks to make uniform, champfer and go. The primer pockets and flash holes holes need no attention with the norma brass, as far as I can see.

I use Rem R-P brass. Got a good deal on 500 pcs, which made it cheaper than 200 pcs of Nosler.

Weight sorted them and culled anything more or less than 1gr from middle average. Got about 375 that way. The other 125 (about 75 below and 50 above), went in a separate bin for other things.

Full brass prep right off the bat. Resized, trim, chamfer, deburr, uniform primer pockets, deburr flash hole, tumble clean, anneal. All ready in one afternoon.

I shoot the 180 Berger Hybrid over H1000. Not a screaming fast load, but accurate as heck at 2996fps. I have 7-8 loading w. FL resizing and annealing every time on some of that brass, and have only lost one single piece to a very minor rupture at the belt.

Admittedly, this was a perfect day for shooting, and I was on my game too.

Cold bore shot @ 200.

3 more on a separate target immediately following.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.