7mm RM advice

7rm1337

Ok I have weatherby vanguard vgl that has a 20 inch barrel . My question is what would be the ideal
powder to use with 168 vld being it has such a short barrel.

I recently tried RL-19 in my .243 WIN and my Dad's .30-06 and I didn't like it. The velocities were not consistent and I had unburnt powder kernels in my .243's barrel. Don't know if I had a bad lot or what but I'm staying away from this stuff. IMR 4350 should be a good choice for that barrel length and bullet weight. Never heard of a 7mmRM with such a short barrel so don't have much on load info for one.

Use the same powder as if it were a longer barrel. It is a myth that short rifle barrels need faster powder.

I got my information from an old article that Ross Siefried wrote, where he experimented with various powders in his friend's short barreled rifle. Within the article Ross also stated that short barreled rifles loose less velocity with heavier bullets.

Hornady's 7th edition they show listings from IMR 4350 fastest to RL-25 as the slowest powder. for 162 and 175 gr. bullets in the 7MM Rem Mag. I would suggest just pick a powder and take loads, the rifle with a chronograph and a couple old white bed sheets to the range. Lay the sheets out in front of the bench and set up the chronograph and start. Check the velocity. And see if any unburned powder ends up on the sheets. Every gun barrel is a puzzle of its own. You may have a fast barrel that even being short may surprise you. Good Luck

Im not really worried about the barrel being short . Well ive got some imr4350 and 7828 I'll give those a try and see what happens.

I use 7828 SSC in mine since I shoot 168's out of a 26" barrel, but figured with lighter bullets (sub-160 grain) and the shorter barrel that Reloder 19 would be a good one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.