7mm RemMag factory ammo

Pecco22

Need some help and others input on factory ammo for my 7mag. I have sighted in my new tikka t3x at 1 inch high at 100yrds. Wasn't the best groups. I assume mostly my fault given I'm rew to the gun and learning it. That and my technique needs work. Now my overall question....and I know there will be varying opinions. But I'm looking for a good factory load to try. I plan to hunt whitetail currently and eventually move up to other big game. Reloading is not an option currently because I don't own any equipment yet.
I was looking at hornady superformance 162gr sst. Or possibly the 139gr. I plan to hunt anywhere from 50yrds out to 5-600 (once I've practiced)

Pls give me your thought and input on what has worked for you all.

Need some help and others input on factory ammo for my 7mag. I have sighted in my new tikka t3x at 1 inch high at 100yrds. Wasn't the best groups. I assume mostly my fault given I'm rew to the gun and learning it. That and my technique needs work. Now my overall question....and I know there will be varying opinions. But I'm looking for a good factory load to try. I plan to hunt whitetail currently and eventually move up to other big game. Reloading is not an option currently because I don't own any equipment yet.
I was looking at hornady superformance 162gr sst. Or possibly the 139gr. I plan to hunt anywhere from 50yrds out to 5-600 (once I've practiced)

Pls give me your thought and input on what has worked for you all.

Check out HSM's offerings in 168 or 180 Berger VLDs. My buddy dropped a MT bull elk just shy of 400 yards in 2013 with the 180. I.Q. Metals Inc. - 7mm Remington Magnum

or

Fairly new but it's worth a try >>> 162 ELD-X Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Search results

Good luck!

22, FEENIX nailed it, those 168 Bergers shoot very well. I've witnessed that bullet kill elk, deer and antelope with one well placed shot. Hand loads with H1000 are awesome. Good luck

Before I started loading my own ammo, I used to shoot Fed Premium ammo with 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. These would stay under 1 MOA in 2 different M700 7mm rem mag factory rifles that I have owned out to 400 yards. This same ammo will group sub .75 MOA in my custom M700 7 mag out to 600 yards. These are also DEVASTATING on deer. I would recommend a rib cage / lung shot placement vs a should blade shot to avoid excessive meet loss. I probably have taken 15-20 deer with this ammo and never had one travel more than 5 yards after the shot. Most were dead before they hit the ground. Never lost a single deer and never needed more than one shot with this ammo.
I now hand load with 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Ok so thrn my question is.....HSM 168 berger.....they are described as long range hunting.......yup sounds great.....will they still perform under the shorter distances also? Like I said I could have shots from 50-5 or 600 yrds...?

Ok so thrn my question is.....HSM 168 berger.....they are described as long range hunting.......yup sounds great.....will they still perform under the shorter distances also? Like I said I could have shots from 50-5 or 600 yrds...?

I've never had any problems with them. I shot a whitetail doe at 70 yards with these and she was DRT, never took a step.

I just recently bought a new Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag myself . I tried about 5 different loads of factory ammo , 3 of which I already had for another 7mm I owned . Hornady Custom 154 grain , Federal 160 grain Nosler Partition , Winchester Supreme 140 grain Ballistic Silvertip and I bought a box of the new Hornady Precision Hunter 162 ELD-X . All shot about the same really . Right around an inch at 100 yds . The Hornady 162 ELD-X were the exception . They were all over the place . A buddy of mine had a box of Fusion 150 grain that someone had given him as a Christmas gift . He gave them to me just to try them out . I was impressed with the results . I had two different orange spots on paper and fired 5 shots at one and 4 shots at the other. When I overlapped the two targets all 9 holes were easily in an inch or less . I bought another box of the Fusion 150 grain just to experiment with and got the same results as the first box . I know each rifle is different but you might want to give the Fusion 150 Grains a try . By the way , I have a friend that deer hunts with Fusion ammo in his 300 WSM and swears by their terminal performance on whitetails .

I'd find a factory load with the 160 Accubond, especially with closer range shots being a possibility. High velocity, close range with a VLD is messy. At least in a .300 RUM. And that 160 is a wicked elk killer. mtmuley

I've wondered how the 160gr Federal factory loads with the Speer "Deep Curl" perform. They're very reasonably priced locally....

However, i've never been able to find much on them.... my google-fu must be weak.

I'd find a factory load with the 160 Accubond, especially with closer range shots being a possibility. High velocity, close range with a VLD is messy. At least in a .300 RUM. And that 160 is a wicked elk killer. mtmuley

Ok...so does shot placement come into play with your opinion on this? Shoulder vs behind the shoulder....etc. I typically will not shoot into he shoulder...always behind the shoulder. I mean if the berger 168 vld will do all of what I want....then they are worth trying out. But they are expensive......so don't want to spend a ton to find they don't shoot well.

Ok...so does shot placement come into play with your opinion on this? Shoulder vs behind the shoulder....etc. I typically will not shoot into he shoulder...always behind the shoulder. I mean if the berger 168 vld will do all of what I want....then they are worth trying out. But they are expensive......so don't want to spend a ton to find they don't shoot well.

I shoot behind the shoulder as well. Also my main deer rifle is a 7mmRM and I use Berger 168 VLD's. Close to long range, they have performed flawlessly for me as well.

Can't comment on the HSM ammo, because I roll my own...But I can comment on the cartridge, caliber, and bullets you're asking about. Behind the shoulder, you should be alright. Also, check to make sure the hollow points are not stopped up or deformed. You could use a safety pin or really small drill bit to check and make sure before use. That will help to prevent a FTO on impact.

I just recently bought a new Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag myself . I tried about 5 different loads of factory ammo , 3 of which I already had for another 7mm I owned . Hornady Custom 154 grain , Federal 160 grain Nosler Partition , Winchester Supreme 140 grain Ballistic Silvertip and I bought a box of the new Hornady Precision Hunter 162 ELD-X . All shot about the same really . Right around an inch at 100 yds . The Hornady 162 ELD-X were the exception . They were all over the place . A buddy of mine had a box of Fusion 150 grain that someone had given him as a Christmas gift . He gave them to me just to try them out . I was impressed with the results . I had two different orange spots on paper and fired 5 shots at one and 4 shots at the other. When I overlapped the two targets all 9 holes were easily in an inch or less . I bought another box of the Fusion 150 grain just to experiment with and got the same results as the first box . I know each rifle is different but you might want to give the Fusion 150 Grains a try . By the way , I have a friend that deer hunts with Fusion ammo in his 300 WSM and swears by their terminal performance on whitetails .

my 7 mag likes the 150 fusions also. hates every factory round I've tried less than 150grs. Tried a few of the hornady 162 eld-x but mirage was real bad that day so I need to shoot again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.