7mm remington magnum

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shedlun1, Oct 27, 2013.

1. shedlun1

shedlun1 New Member

Does anyone have data on reloading berger 168 vld hunting bullets with the new r -33 from alliant

2. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

When I got some of the first RL-33 available well over a year ago I tried it in a variety of rifles.
    Here is what I wrote in my documents regarding a 7 Rem mag:

7 Rem Mag: 24" Rem barrel, Win brass, Fed 215, moly coated 162 A-max seated .010" into rifling.
    Original accuracy load: 72 gr of Retumbo 2975 fps

RL-33:
    starting load 76 gr vel 2837
    worked up to 79 gr for vel of 3000 for very small gain over Retumbo
    80 grs showed a hint of lift and a small shiny spot on casehead.

I used a bullet seating comparator and noticed that even with the use of a 6" drop tube the powder was filling the case for a heavily compressed load. 79 gr and up caused the OAL to lengthen over .010", enough so the bullet wouldn't fit into magazine.

I can see why Alliant only mentioned a load for the 175 gr bullet.
    ---------------
    If it is all you can get give it a try. It will work better with a 175 or 180 gr bullet.

3. shedlun1

shedlun1 New Member

Thanks very helpful now I also see why alliant folks only show the one load of 175 gr bullet thanks again first time using this site.It sure works well

4. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

I think you will enjoy this site. Plenty of information and great people.

I read as far back as I could in several of the forums when I first came here. Some very interesting reading which will keep you busy for weeks.

5. Shodan

Shodan New Member

Sorry, no load data with that powder. I have used Reloader 25 with outstanding results. I would imagine that with how small of a case the 7 has (respectively), a person might not be able to get enough of the RL33 into it to find any kind of benefit over another powder like RL22 or RL25.