7mm Rem Mag waaayyy out there

I have lately been using the 162 a max in a 7 rm, shooting 40-120 lbs. animals at ranges between 170-600 yds with good results, went thrgough at 180 yds, with a big exit hole, and have dropped 2 animals on their tracks at 400 yds; best one at 600 yds taht dropped instantly, all of them first shots so the a max is really accurate. Way better than the 160 sierra gameking I had been using.

I think the lighter ones like 140 smk or even the 150 may be too fast if shot at ranges less than 200 or 250.

A max´s were leaving the muzzle at 2840 ft/s.

GG, what was the difference in accuracy between the Accubond and SMKs? I'm in the position of trying to choose a couple of bullets to try in my 7 RM being built. I'm definitely going to try the A-Max and SMKs, but if the Accubonds perform just as well, accuracy wise, I'll pick up some of those too.

You will have great results with the 140g Accubond. I have three 7 mags, the Savage 114C shoots the 140g Accubond with three bullets touching at 100 yards with the following load.
Rem brass
9 1/2
66.5g of H4350
140g accubond touching the lands
3240 fps in this Savage Rifle

I have had bad luck with the Sierra 140g SBT. I lost a fine deer and several does shot with it. In my opinion, it is best shot in a 7/08 with less velocity. I have had great luck with the Sierra 160g SBT, nothing short of fantastic bullet. Last year I loaded the Hornady 162g SST for two guys that were going to Africa for plains game. They each killed 12 animals with only one shot kills, dropping in their tracks. The guide was so impressed at the bullet's preformance that he wrote an article in a Magazine about it.
If you read my post above, I hope that you will see that I'm talking from experience on the 7 Mag and the 140's. If You are hunting the Kibab or up on the Rim, the 140g Accubond will be a great bullet. I doubt if you will have to shoot over 550 yards, and you are going to have to have some STRONG glass to shoot that far. Practice, practice, practice!

Good luck!

Well, I can't say how your new rifle will like either bullet better than the other. But I can tell you the facts about each bullet's construction. The Accubond is really a match-like bullet in hunting form. I can weigh, and measure base to ogive length on any of them and they come out with MK like consistency. The meplats are actually better than MK's because of the polymer tip. I would shoot either for 1000 yard hunting, but for normal hunting ranges, my choice is and has been the Accubond.

Hold the phone mr. messer, you're comparing performance on a 3 lb varmint to performance on a 150 lb deer? How does that work? The last time I checked a deer affords a little more resistence to penetration than a chuck or g hog. Just a little curious.

All I am saying is that I hunted with 7 wsm's and 180 bergers for a year. I shot around 800 rounds total, in that most of the time hunting groundhogs they bored holes, with the exception of them sometimes preforming well. The 2 deer I shot with them long range suffered. They bored holes straight through. Don't need to compare groundhogs to deer, they don't kill either good either 3lbs or 15 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif0 lbs. When I use ballistic tips 120,140, 162 Grain The effects are dramitic on game. Match bullets can be used for hunting but it depends on caliber weight and twist. The 7 180 bergers are not a good bullet for hunting with the expercience I had. Don't take my word for it try it. I hope you have beter results than me,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.