7mm rem mag

feralcat

I'm using a handload I have found excellent but have no idea how fast it's travelling.(no access to a chrony). If anyone using the same load can give me the speed in fps, would be appreciated.

Rifle Tikka T3 lite L/H 7mm Rem Mag
Load Rem brass, CCI LRM primer, 65.5 gns RE-19, 140gn Nosler accubond.
OAL 3.8"

I know these are going hard and fast and they hit game like hammers. Accuracy is .7" @100mtr.

Thanks in advance.

Every rifle is different. Shoot it out at distance, and then compair it to JBM and see what speed matches to your drop. Use your ALT, TEMP, BAR, HUM.

I'm using a handload I have found excellent but have no idea how fast it's travelling.(no access to a chrony). If anyone using the same load can give me the speed in fps, would be appreciated.

Rifle Tikka T3 lite L/H 7mm Rem Mag
Load Rem brass, CCI LRM primer, 65.5 gns RE-19, 140gn Nosler accubond.
OAL 3.8"

I know these are going hard and fast and they hit game like hammers. Accuracy is .7" @100mtr.

Thanks in advance.

Checking the drop, as suggested, is the way to go if you can't get access to a chronograph. That said, I modeled your rifle in QuickLoad using Rem brass H2O capacity as it comes out of my Ruger, your 24.375" barrel, and get an estimated 3052 fps. You might start with this and then correct it with measured drop data at 500 yards.

FWIW: I have a couple of 7mm Magnums - I like the cartridge a lot, so I ran a load map for your rifle in QuickLoad. All the following powders have the potential for more muzzle velocity. I've no clue how they'd group but the predicted MV is higher. From fastest predicted MV to slowest, they are:

Reloader-25
Ramshot Magnum (Big Boy)
Viht N560
IMR7828 & IMR7828SSC
Viht N570
AccurateMAGPRO
Reloader-22
Reloader-19
IMR4350

I was surprised by how little velocity spread there is - IMR4350 is only 80 fps slower than RL25. While there are folks that would do extreme things to gain 80 fps, for me group size is what counts.

I've had good accuracy results with both the 160g Accubond (1/2" in a Ruger 77MK-II) and the 150g TTSX (.2" in a Savage BVSS) pushed by RL25. I have some 180g Berger VLD's loaded with Retumbo to try as well. I'd sure like to try the 168g Berger VLD hunting bullet but can't find any for sale anywhere on the planet.

Fitch

I agree with Fitch. The muz velosity is great but grouping to me is better. But call Nosler the # is on their site they should give a close figure.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.