7mm Rem Mag Powder for 24" Tube

Special Delivery

What is the best powder to use for a 24" Hart Barrel pushing 168 Berger VLD's to approx 3000fps? I have H1000 and Retumbo, but can get whatever I need. I have heard Reloader 22 and H4831SC will work also. Just wondering whats best for the shorter tube?

Hybrid100v will most likely get you 3000fps without over pressure, H4831 will do it but its borderline. Hybrid has been working great under 208s in my 300wsm. Its almost identical to Norma MRP.

Edd, I would difinenly agree but some have issues with carbon/powder fouling in a 24" pipe before they ever get a hot enough load to get that velocity, I don't know why but I heard several people say they had similar issues.

Guys thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'm going to try the H1000 first amd go from there. Retumbo just may need a longer barrel to burn but I guess it won't hurt to give it a try also.

Guys thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'm going to try the H1000 first amd go from there. Retumbo just may need a longer barrel to burn but I guess it won't hurt to give it a try also.

Perhaps and perhaps not I am currently working on a load for the 7 RM with the 150 e tip Started with 68 of retumbo at it gave me 3063 fps average out of a 24" barrel. Have since worked up to 69.5 with out any pressure signs so far but groups are starting to get tight so just a bit more tweaking. I have not checked the speed since the 68 grain load but will once I find the accuracy. I don't think with a 160 class lead core bullet you would be too far off with a 24" tube and retumbo and would not be as pressure sensitive as the e tips. H-1000 is also a good choice as is IMR-7828 one of the 3 will get you what you want to do

I believe that IMR7828 is what Remington helped to develop for the 7mag when it came out and they had 24" tubes. H1000 is probably the best one now. Use Win. brass and a 215m to light it up.

When I was working up a load for a 7mag I have with the 168VLD I got very good velocity up to 3127fps with Retumbo and a 215m. One hole type groups at 100yds, BUT the load had a high ES of 57fps and would show too much vertical stringing at longer ranges. I was then told that Retumbo shoots best with the CCI 250 primer. All I got was reduced velocity and the ES was still too high for me, even after adjusting the powder charge. H1000 and a 215M got me 3030fps with single digit ES. That rifle taught me the valuable lesson of "velocity is great, but accuracy is final"!
I use mostly 210's and 215's for most eveything I load, however I do use the CCI BR2 for a 243 and 7mm-08 load though with Varget and RL 15 with great results.

I made some loads up with H1000, and federal magnum primers a month ago. Took them to the range, and wasnt impressed at all, sadly. Have done the best with retumbo so far, and will be making new loads for that again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.