7mm rem mag & elk

cyberscout19

looking for advice on a bullet weight for a 7mm rm for elk.i will be hunting there this oct with my uncles.any thoughts on 160gr accubonds?

The 160 Accubond would be my fist choice after hearing all the good results folks have had with them.

I did see a huge cow elk shot wiht a 150 Ballistic tip out of a 7mm Weatherby at just over 300yds and the result was very good , their was a small hole on the exit side where piece of the bullet exited but most stayed in , but only rib bones were hit so I woulden't trust it if you had to shoot through a shoulder or make a less them optimal shot

Oh yea ,I forgot to mention one important thing , I don't know where my manners are

Welcome aboard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Accubond you mentioned would be a good choice. No experience in using a 7mm on game but did use them on an elk last fall using a 180gr bullet in a 300UM. Do some load testing and see how they shoot in your gun. Also, as another thought,I personally haven't used the Scirocco but have seen good results in a friends 300UM using a 180 gr. bullet to harvest a 6x6 elk last fall. In the 7mm I believe it is only available in a 150gr. bullet. They are a bit pricey compared to the Accubond however. Did reload some Accubonds for a friends 7mmUM using both the 150 and 160 gr bullets and it did some decent grouping at 100 yds. If I remember correctly the 160's were a little better grouping bullet in that gun. Good luck.
1kstr

cyberscout19:

Like JDJones said, welcome to LRH.

And, like both guys said, the 160 Accubond in the 7mm Rem Mag will work just fine on elk. They have a really bad reaction to being hit by one in the right spot. They die. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You could push some lighter bullets faster, but for long range and especially for elk sized animals I'd recommend you stick with the 160s.

I've used them on 3 elk in 7mm mags and all were perfect performance. Also used them on several deer and have only recovered one.

thank you gentlemen for the sound advice and the warm welcome.I will have to get some accubonds then of to the range.thank you again

7 mm mag and 160 Nosler AB on large cow bison.
Good size hole through heart and shattered far leg from about 150 yds. Perfect.
This from the Federal factory ammo. Groups pretty good too, at least in my rifle.
I found the 175 bear claw a little heavy, penciling through even rather stout wild animals from near and far.
Me thinks the 160 AB mo betta. Bad medicine for elk.

Barnes triple shock bullets 140-160 would also work very well for elk. I used a 7mm-08 with 140 tsx and from 300 yards shot all the way through a small bull. Good wound channel also. Welcome

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.