7mm rem mag chamber no clue what to go with

AZlongrangehunting

All, I'm looking for people with actual information or experience on what chamber reamer to go for match or custom and then if either what exactly should I even be looking for?? I've only ever had saami and this new Krieger barrel I would like to take the time to have a chamber worth my time

I'm assuming tighter neck and different shoulder angle just absolutely zero experience or a place I can get data to source for this

Gun is a savage receiver for 7mm rem mag purpose is long range hunting realistically out to 800 1000 yards at furthest ethical kill range
This will cover altitudes of 0 to 6000 ft
0 to 100 degf
Probably 175gr nosler lr accubonds
180 vlds
And 195gr EOLs

Basically just looking for any suggestions or specific reamers numbers etc of what to even try to improve on from a saami

I do have a brand new set of redding competition dies and... I'm assuming this would mean stick with saami or match chambers vs custom dies if so that will narrow down to at least that if I'm correct? Is there 1 standard match chamber or are there like 20 options?

Last edited:
In my opinion for what your trying to do a .180 freebore and in the neighborhood of .317 neck dia should work for what your trying to accomplish. Max box length is gonna hinder you trying to go with the 195's and velocity loss versus b.c gain isn't gonna gain you anything. The 168-180 class bullets are good for the 7 mag.
Another option is to seat a bullet just a few thousand above the neck shoulder junction and if it will work for your mag box length have a Smith throat it for that or what will work for your mag box. Same for neck clearance measure a loaded round neck with the brass you wanna use and add .004-.005 for no turn and that should give you your chamber neck dia.

In my opinion for what your trying to do a .180 freebore and in the neighborhood of .317 neck dia should work for what your trying to accomplish. Max box length is gonna hinder you trying to go with the 195's and velocity loss versus b.c gain isn't gonna gain you anything. The 168-180 class bullets are good for the 7 mag.
Another option is to seat a bullet just a few thousand above the neck shoulder junction and if it will work for your mag box length have a Smith throat it for that or what will work for your mag box. Same for neck clearance measure a loaded round neck with the brass you wanna use and add .004-.005 for no turn and that should give you your chamber neck dia.

yes i agree the 195s may have limitations with the AICS magazine but specifically for those if i must single feed... then i will have no real other option.... i will not be disappointed with either the 175 Accubonds or the 180 VLD's

so a .317 neck is saami if i recall i have all the tools i would need if i did need to turn necks
i figured the free bore id have to base it off of probably the 180vlds but how much that would be im not sure ive heard for 180vlds to get it to bare minimum for free bore loaded right to the shoulder junction and the shortest jump to the lands desirable

again the saami min spec seems to be something i may be best suited with if thats what youre thinking

I would seat a 180 VLD at or just above the neck shoulder junction and measure the o.a.l and see if it fits in your mag if not seat until it will and have a Smith throat it for that length or go to a lighter bullet. I think saami reamers are set up more for the 150-168 bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.